CHARLES O. BREWER, BENTON TOWNSHIP
Charles O. Brewer, a substantial citizen and farmerresiding on a fine homestead of 120 acres in this township, is a native of New York State, born June 24, 1855. Oliver and Lucinda (Forbes) Brewer, his parents, were also natives of the Empire State. The father has the record of a good soldier in the Civil War, having for four years seen much active service with a New York regiment.
Until he was seventeen years of age, Charles O. Brewer was educated and reared in his native State, in 1872, with manly independence, venturing into the West. He spent his first winter in Cass county, hunting and trapping along its streams, and in the following spring commenced to work for C. T. Lambert, one of the pioneer farmers of Benton township. He remained with Mr. Lambert for three years, when he married his daughter, Fidelia, and established his first home on rented land. In 1833 he boughtforty acres of wild land in the township, on which he erected a shanty and which he at once placed under the plow. Mr. Brewer continued the good work of cultivation and improvement, as well as the increase of his landed property until his homestead now consists of 120 acres of productive land, with a good residence, and modern buildings and appliances for the conduct of the farm.
On Feb. 3, 1877, Mr. Brewer was married, as stated, to Fidelia, daughter of C. T. Lambert. Both her father and her uncle, Nathaniel F. Lambert, were early settlers and pioneer farmers of Benton township. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Charles O. Brewer resulted in the birth of four sons -- Alva C., a farmer of this county; and George L., Harry O. and Asa, who reside on the family homestead. The father is not only honored as a stanch family man and private citizen, but also for the faithfulness with which he has discharged his public duties connected with such local offices as school trustee and road supervisor. He is also somewhat active in fraternal matters, being a member of the I. O. O. F. and M. W. of A.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 274-275.