LUTHER L. ALEXANDER.
In the winter of 1868-9, by an act of the General Assembly, the office of county auditor was created in place of the abolished county judgeship. By this act the incumbent of the latter office became an ex-officio county auditor for the unexpired time of his term of office. Luther L. Alexander thereby became the first auditor of Cass county, and served by subsequent election until January 1, 1872. He was of Massachusetts birth, and first came to Cass county from Michigan, in May, 1855. After a short time he moved to New York, where he remained until 1859, when he returned to his farm in what is now Grove township. While in office he resided first at Lewis and then at Atlantic, and after his term as county treasurer had expired opened a grocery store at the county seat, where he remained until his death in December, 1879. Judge Alexander was an excellent business man, an honest and able official and a Christian, useful gentleman.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pp. 72-73.