JAMES H. ALEXANDER, GRISWOLD.
For a period of twenty-six years James H. Alexander, president of the Citizens Bank of Griswold, has been in the banking business in this county, so that he is now one of the oldest bankers in the region, and as he is among the financial leaders in length of service, so is he in ability, personal character, and business enterprise. He was born in Greeneville, Tenn., on April 6, 1860 and is the son of George and Martha (Pointdexter) Alexander, who also were natives of that State. The father was a farmer and passed his life in Tennessee, dying there during the Civil War. The mother is still living. The family is of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and its members, in whatever walls of life they have been found, have ever exemplified the best traits of that vigorous and sturdy strain.
James H. Alexander was reared in Missouri and educated in the common schools of Cass county, Iowa. He taught school for one year, then, in 1880, entered the bank of Louis O. Reinig at Lewis, with whom he remained until his death. Mr. Alexander continued to live at Lewis until 1897, when in company with Mr. Reinig's son, Hugh M. Reinig, he organized the institution of which he has ever since been the head. It has a capital of $30,000 and $5,000 surplus, and does a general banking business of large proportions for its rank, and the section of country tributary to its enterprise.
Mr. Alexander is recognized as a gentleman of great energy and resourcefulness, and with a thorough knowledge of his business has managed the affairs of the bank in the most skilful and satisfactory manner, winning the approval of its large body of patrons and the community at large. He is a Freemason and a Knight of Pythias, but although earnestly and intelligently interested in the welfare of his county, State and country, has never been an active partisan, or sought or desired public office. He was married in 1890 to Laura Woods, a native of Wisconsin. They have two children, George H. and Esther J.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 249-250.