Carroll County IAGenWeb


on the 25th Anniversary Jubilee
Originally Published on Friday, 29 September 1899

Translated from German by David Reineke

Wilhelm Lesle
This man was born in Zaatzke, near Wittstock, Province of Brandenburg, on 4 May 1831. After successfully completing school, he devoted himself to farming, and in 1854, he went to Spandau as a soldier in the 24th Infantry Regiment. After two and a half years of service, he was honorably discharged. He then married Miss Louise Krohn, a fine young lady. In 1857, he and his wife came by way of Canada to America, where they settled near Burlington, Wisconsin. After 12 years there, the family moved to Sac Township, Sac County, Iowa, where they purchased a 120-acre property. From 1865 to 1866, he was inducted as a soldier in the United States Army and was then discharged with honors. He then returned again to the plow, and after selling the above-mentioned farm, he acquired a 160-acre farm in the same township. Gradually, Mr. Lesle purchased another 240 acres, but he later signed 80 acres each to both of his sons. In 1891, Mr. Lesle and his wife retired from farming and moved to the little town of Auburn to enjoy the fruits of their successful labor, but unfortunately his dear life’s companion died on 11 April 1894. This happy marriage produced five children, two of whom died at a young age. Mr. Lesle was a loyal subscriber to the Demokrat and has been a constant and attentive reader since it first appeared. May the jovial old man be granted sunny twilight years.
Christ. Löffelholz [Christian Loeffelholz]
Anyone who is acquainted with the residents of Kniest [Township] also has the pleasure of knowing the jovial Christ. Löffelholz, of whom we publish [in another place in this paper] an excellent picture. Mr. Christ. Löffelholz was born on 25 April 1840 in Heuthen, County of Heiligenstadt, District of Erfurt, Province of Saxony, Germany, where he received his youthful education. After being released from school, he devoted himself to agriculture. He helped his father in operating the parental farm, but when he was 17 years old, he had the misfortune to lose his father through death. He worked on various farms up until 1864, when he took up the hiking staff and toured Bavaria, Wuerttemberg, and the beautiful Father Rhine. He stayed for three weeks in Alsace-Lorraine, and on 31 October 1865, he carried out his long-held decision to travel to the free country of America. On 1 January 1866, he set foot on the shore of America, landing in New York Harbor. He immediately turned towards the West, and settled in New Vienna, Iowa. At first he worked in a woolen mill, then in a brewery, and in 1869 he worked as a clerk in a store while also assisting in a barroom. On 26 April 1870, he came to Kniest Township, Carroll County to work a piece of land in that township which he had purchased a year earlier. On 15 June 1870 he married Miss Margaretha Wilkens, and this bride and groom were the first couple to be proclaimed married at St. Mary’s Church in Mt. Carmel by Rev. Father Heimbucher. While Mr. Christ. Löffelholz has been living on his land in Kniest Township, he has equipped his farm with a splendid residence as well as solid buildings, so that his farm may be counted among the best in Kniest Township. On account of his straightforward and open character, he is esteemed and popular and enjoys the respect of all his acquaintances. In the Mt. Carmel Protection Society Against Fire, he has at various times held important offices and is on the board of directors. On 15 June 1895, he and his dear wife celebrated their silver wedding anniversary, in which all their acquaintances very happily participated. Unfortunately, the worthy couple has not been immune from the decrees of God. After five of their children had died, a brave and virtuous daughter had to undergo a dangerous operation due to a tumor, and she succumbed to her illness on 11 May 1899, at the age of 24 years, 3 months, and 15 days. She is deeply mourned by her sorely tested parents, her loving siblings, and all her acquaintances. The names of the children still living are: Bernhard, Maria, Johann, Franz Martin, Joseph Albert, and Theresia Elisabeth.
Hermann Luchtel
This man, who appears in a picture with his estimable wife, although not among the earliest settlers of Carroll County, along with his family, still holds a respected place among all the German society in Carroll County. He is a progressive and practical farmer, and his equipment, most of it produced by his own hand, may be considered exemplary.

Mr. Hermann Luchtel was born in New Vienna, Dubuque County, Iowa on 28 July 1850. As a studious young boy he attended school there, and then he devoted himself to farming and worked there until he was 22 years old. He then purchased a parcel of land in Delaware County, and on 16 July 1872 he married Miss Sophia Grote, a well-brought-up young woman. Mr. Luchtel then moved with his young wife to the previously-purchased farm, which he worked successfully for six years. He then sold the farm and established a new home in Wheatland Township, Carroll County, purchasing a farm of 120 acres, where the family lived until 1890. Mr. Luchtel then acquired another farm of 120 acres in the same township, and then another 120 acres of adjoining land, where the family still lives today. This true Christian marriage produced six children: Maria, Anna, Heinrich, Clemens, Hermann, and Clara.

Chas. H. Ludwig
The subject of our current description is one of the best-known and most-popular business people in Carroll County, and Mr. Chas. H. Ludwig has the reputation of being a completely honest and reliable businessman.

He was born on 27 November 1853 in Birkenriede, Germany. After the promising boy had attended a few years of school in his hometown, his parents immigrated to America and settled in Joe Davis County, Wisconsin. [There does not appear to be such a county in Wisconsin.] Here, young Charles commenced and completed his studies in elementary school. In 1869, his parents moved to Kniest Township, Carroll County, where his father purchased a farm. Charles H., who meanwhile had grown to promising youth, turned to farming, either assisting his father part-time on the farm, or operated a threshing machine. But he had an urge to go into a commercial occupation, and he then went to the town of Carroll, where he first worked a year as a shop assistant for Mr. Wayne, and then a year for Messrs. Wayne and Arts, who had become partners, and then three years for Mr. Arts, who had taken over the business for himself. Then Mr. Ludwig worked a year for Geo. Everts, and then he associated with Mr. H. E. Stevens, and they opened a general merchandise store. In the fall of 1880, Mr. Chas. Ludwig married Miss Elisabeth Niens from Port Washington, Wisconsin. In 1882, Mr. Stevens withdrew from the business and Mr. Christ Ludwig, a brother of Charles H., took over Mr. Stevens’s share. Since the business had experienced an unexpected and large increase, the store premises soon became too small. The Ludwig brothers purchased a neighboring lot and built a two-story business building, in which the large business is still located today. Mr. Christ Ludwig died in April 1898, at which time Mr. Chas. H. Ludwig took over the entire stock, valued at $24,000, on his own.

The dimensions of the store are 24 feet wide, and 100 feet long, and the basement, store area, and upper storage rooms constitute an area of 7200 square feet, and this space is filled with merchandise that is not to be found in any smaller store in Carroll. The total inventory of merchandise at the moment represents a value of $30,000 and is large enough for a town with four times the population. Mr. Ludwig is assisted by four shop assistants, who are almost always busy helping to fulfill the wishes of the customers. That is the result of a business career of an industrious, honest and reliable businessman.
Rev. Gerh. Heinr. Lührsmann
[Gerhard Heinrich Luehrsmann]
This Reverend Gentleman has been the pastor at St. Mary’s Parish in Mt. Carmel since 1892, and during this time he has earned the love and affection of all his parishioners. Due to the repeated destruction of the church by fire, the St. Mary’s Parish was rather run-down, and when Rev. Father Lührsmann took over leadership of the parish, it was also considerably in debt. Today, St. Mary’s Parish in Mt. Carmel is debt-free, and in addition, it is decorated with beautiful wall and ceiling paintings, magnificent altars adorn the church, a large pipe organ sounds to the glory of God, and in respect to the other furnishings of the beautiful church, it can be said that St. Mary’s, the mother church of Carroll County, is far and wide the most beautiful in form as well as in fixtures. Through the careful works of this energetic pastor, the interior of the church stands completed and, just during the last year, another addition was achieved in the architectural perfection of the church property—a worthy priest’s residence. Where such successes are to be noted, one can and must say that they are due to a beneficial and harmonious cooperation between priest and laity.

The Rev. Father Lührsmann was born on 23 December 1835 in Wallenhorst, Osnabrück District, Province of Hanover. He spent his childhood years and attended elementary school there, and in 1849 his parents emigrated to the United States of North America and settled initially in Cincinnati. In 1862, the reverend gentleman entered the priests’ seminary in Milwaukee, and on 18 December 1869 he succeeded in fulfilling his deepest wish and was ordained a priest by the late Bishop Luers of Ft. Wayne, Indiana. On Christmas Day of the same year, he celebrated his first Holy Mass in New Vienna, Iowa. Then the energetic priest was transferred to a missionary assignment in Baden, Keokuk County, to which belonged 14 stations in three different counties. Then he was called to Gutemberg [should probably be Guttenberg], Clayton County, where he built the beautiful church constructed of quarried stone. Then he was called to Lyons, Clinton County, where he enlarged the church and founded the school operated by the nuns. The energetic priest was there for eight years, and then he was transferred to Alton, Sioux County, where he again established an elementary school conducted by the nuns. It is also noteworthy that four students have gone forth from this educational institution to prepare for the priesthood. The Reverend Father Lührsmann spent eight years in this parish and cared for Sioux, Osceola, and O’Brien Counties, because he was the only German priest in those three counties. He was then called to St. Mary’s Church in Mt. Carmel, where he did his blessed work and earned the respect of all the parishioners. On 18 December 1899 he will have the great happiness of celebrating his 30th anniversary as a priest, which will certainly be appropriately celebrated by the entire parish.

NOTES: Father Lührsmann died in 1916 and is buried in Breda.
Johann Meisel
In the above portrait is presented an excellent picture of Mr. Johann Meisel and his respected wife. Mr. Meisel was born on 2 November 1830 in Odenhausen, District of Erfurt, Province of Saxony. After successfully attending school, he learned the trade of linen weaver, and he lived with his parents until he was 23 years old. On 10 August 1853, he married Miss Friederika Stange, after which he worked another two years at his trade in his hometown. He then immigrated with his young wife to the United States of North America and settled in Peru County, Illinois. He then took up farming, and he rented a farm where he lived for three years with his wife. They then purchased an 80-acre farm in Peru County, and after a few years they purchased an additional 96 acres. They lived on this farm for 29 years, and they then sold the land and moved to Roselle Township, Carroll County, Iowa, where they acquired 120 acres. They later purchased another 85 acres in Washington Township, and a while later another 160 acres, so that their entire real estate consists of 365 acres of the finest land, which, because of its excellent location, its quality of soil, and its good and solid buildings, may be considered among the most valuable of properties. After many years of the greatest industriousness and extremely hard work, the couple longed for retirement. So, Mr. Meisel and his wife purchased an elegant home in the First Ward in Carroll and moved there in 1894, in order to enjoy he fruits of their successful labor. They have lived here now for five years, and they are among the most respected German-American families, and they are very respected and popular among all their acquaintances because of their great integrity and their compassion for the sufferings of others. This very happy marriage has produced seven children: Augusta, married to Mr. Anton Hoffart; Anna, married to Mr. Nickolaus Backes; Johanna, married to Mr. Fred. Hoscheid [possibly should be Hoscheit]; Maria, married to Mr. Albert Hoscheid [Hoscheit]; Heinrich, married to Miss Julia Guegel; Benjamin, married to Miss Katharina Williams; and Emma, married to Mr. Heinrich Rose.
Rev. Joseph C. Nacke, Priest
The Rev. Mr. Jos. C. Nacke, priest at Saints Peter and Paul Church in Carroll, Iowa, whose fine portrait we present in the above picture, was born on 10 April 1852 in Elsen, Westphalia, Germany. When he was a child of tender years, his parents moved to America and settled in St. Louis, Missouri, where his father worked at the trade of cabinetmaker. His parents lived in St. Louis for two and a half years, and then they moved to West Point, Iowa, where their well-behaved son received his first school instruction at the local parish school. When he became a young man, he entered St. Francis College in Quincy, Illinois, and after the energetic and pious young man had devoted himself to four years of study with only short breaks, he left the school and went to Teutopolis and entered the Diocesan College of Alton, Illinois. Then, for several years the energetic student attended St. John’s University in Sterns County, Minnesota, a very famous school. At the wish of the Rev. Archbishop Hennessey [Hennessy] of Dubuque, Iowa, he completed his theological studies at St. Francis College in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. On 12 August 1879, he achieved his most desired goal and had the great satisfaction to be ordained a priest. His first assignment was Centralia, Dubuque County, Iowa. The young priest then worked four years as pastor in Stacyville, Iowa, and then he was called to Saints Peter and Paul Church in Carroll, Iowa, where he has worked continuously since 28 September 1887. He has experienced the great satisfaction of Saints Peter and Paul’s growing into one of the largest parishes in the state under his personal leadership. Because of this, in 1898 the splendid brick church had to be enlarged with a transept, and in that year the church was decorated with magnificent ceiling and wall paintings.
Andreas Neppl
This gentleman first saw the light of day on 26 October 1856 in Arnbruck, Bavaria, Germany. He attended elementary school there, and after completing school, he learned the trade of miller and assisted in the business of his father, who was a successful miller. In 1875, he immigrated to the United States of North America and settled in Roselle Township, Carroll County, Iowa, where he devoted himself to agriculture and rented a farm. After two years, on 12 September 1877, he married the virtuous Miss Maria Semler, and to this marriage were born seven boys and three girls, all of whom are still living. In 1890, he moved from Roselle Township to Carroll Township [now Maple River Township], and in 1897 he moved to Kniest Township to the large Pudens [family] farm.

Mr. Neppl is a respected farmer, an honest German-American who, on account of his upright character, is esteemed and respected by all his acquaintances and neighbors.

He is a very successful cattle and swine producer, and for 24 years a loyal reader of the Carroll Demokrat. It is the sincere wish of the Anniversary Edition that the Neppl family continue to enjoy the best of health and that they may prosper in all their undertakings.

Notes: The German town of Arnbruck is in Bavaria, about 40 or 50 miles east of Regensburg, near the border of the Czech Republic.
Clemens Penkhus
This man conducts an enterprising shoemaker business and, along with it, has a well-equipped stock of shoes and boots. His work is considered excellent, and the merchandise that he keeps on hand is durable and of good quality. Therefore, he enjoys an excellent business, and has earned the greatest respect of all his fellow-citizens.

Clemens Penkhus was born on the 6th of November 1856 in Südholz, Oldenburg. He learned the shoemaker’s trade and worked as a journeyman until he was called to military service. He served with the 19th Dragoon Regiment, which was garrisoned in Kloppenburg. He was honorably discharged after serving three years. After a break of two years in Südholz, he emigrated with his parents to America. In the winter of 1884-1885, he was working in Halbur, and in that spring he set up in Templeton. On the 23rd of November 1886, he married Miss Rosa Ferneding, a virtuous and cultured young woman. They were happily married for about 10 years when, on the 29th of May 1896, his dear wife was torn from his side by death. Three children were the fruit of this happy marriage: Maria, Heinrich, and Rosa.
Abel Peters
Mr. Abel Peters was born on 8 January 1839 in Neermoor, County of Leer, Ostfriesland [East Frisia], and attended elementary school there. As a child, he experienced the untimely loss of his parents, and he stayed with relatives and friends until he was 15 years old. He then studied the blacksmith’s trade for two years. As a 17-year-old youth, he immigrated to the New World on 4 April 1856 and settled in Freeport, Illinois. After working there for 15 years, he married Miss Abba Roelfs on 6 April 1870. He then worked another four years at farming, and in 1874 he moved to Wheatland Township [Carroll County, Iowa], where he had purchased 120 acres of land. In 1881 he sold the farm and purchased another of 20 acres. In 1893, he purchased another 120-acre farm nearby, where he now lives with some of his children, and which is also well supplied with all sorts of improvements and equipment. This happy marriage produced six children, two of whom, however, died at a tender age. The children still living are: Claus, who occupies the 220-acre farm; Margaretha, now Mrs. Aug. Jennewein; Edward; and Hempe.
Georg A. Poeppe
With special pleasure, the Anniversary Edition brings the biography of this man, who indeed enjoys an excellent reputation, and not just among the German citizens, but also among those of the English tongue.

Mr. Poeppe is a Son of the Red Earth [Westphalian] who is a credit to his small hometown. He was born on 23 April 1863 in Rolfzen, Westphalia. After successfully attending elementary school, he entered the Gymnasium [advanced high school] in Steinheim. By the time he was 18 years old, he had quickly completed all the classes of this excellent school, and in that same year he carried out his long-held plan of emigrating to the United States of North America. Upon arriving, he made his way to Carroll County, Iowa, where he initially made himself useful in various jobs, and through his industrious attendance in the public school, he acquired a thorough command of the English language. He then attended the Teaching School for several years, and since then Mr. Poeppe has been one of the most successful and popular teachers in the public schools in Kniest Township. On 11 February 1890, he married Miss Helena Wernimont, an esteemed young lady from Kniest Township. In 1891, he moved with his wife to Mt. Carmel, where Mr. Poeppe took over a general merchandise business. At the same time, he was granted the position of Postmaster by the Postal Service. After a few yeas, he went in as a shareholder with “Ludwig Brothers” and the firm was then called “Poeppe and Ludwigs.” Since 1892, Mr. Poeppe has been the owner of a 160-acre farm in Antelope County, Nebraska, and in 1897 he purchased a 120-acre farm in Kniest Township, which he increased a year later by 40 acres. In late fall of the same year, he built a large, comfortable house and stalls on this farm. After he gave up his business in Mt. Carmel in the beginning of 1899, he moved to this farm so that, in addition to his teaching occupation, he could devote his leisure hours to farming. This happy marriage has produced five children, two of which, however, died at a tender age. The names of the still-living children are George, Theresia, and Theodor.

NOTES: Mr. Poeppe was one of several Germans from the area around Steinheim and Rolfzen to emigrate to Carroll County. The Wiedemeier and Reineke families came from Steinheim. In addition to Georg Poeppe, the Klocke, Spieker, and Pietig families came from Rolfzen. The Thielke family also came from the nearby village of Eversen. There are probably other families from the area who also settled in Carroll County.
John Rauch
In another place in the Anniversary Edition, the friendly reader will find an accurate picture of old Mr. John Rauch, who, although he does not live in Carroll County, is still kindred, and is strongly connected to the local residents through family ties and friendship, as well as his many years in the profession of elementary school and music teacher. Indeed, this popular man’s large circle of acquaintances stretches not only over Sac, Carroll, and the bordering counties, but also over parts of eastern Iowa, into Missouri, Illinois, and Minnesota. Thus, many distant readers will be pleasantly surprised to find mentioned here the kind, old, and successful school teacher, who is still gratefully remembered by many people.

Mr. John Rauch was born on the 19th of November 1823, in Nenzing, District of Vorarlberg, Tyrol [in Austria]. He first attended elementary school in his hometown, and then in Bregenz, [Austria] on Lake Constance [a lake bordering on southern Germany, western Austria, and Switzerland], until he was 17 years old. For his advanced education, he attended the “Schulbrüder-Institut” [probably a Catholic advanced school run by priests] at Kronburg, in Tyrol, where he studied for three years, after which he was employed as a teacher and organist in Schönwies, in Tyrol. In February 1852, Mr. Rauch married Miss Maria Anna Meyer, a virtuous and educated young lady. And since he had long had the idea of emigrating to the free states of America, he carried out his plan with his young wife soon after the marriage. On the 5th of May 1852, the couple set foot on the American Continent. Herr Rauch first made his way to Richville, which is now a suburb of Chicago, where he found employment as a teacher and organist. After three years, he took over the teacher and organist position in Dubuque, Iowa. Soon thereafter, he was called to New Vienna, Iowa, where he worked at his position for six years. Unfortunately, he received a heavy blow on the 9th of May 1858, when, on that day, his faithful spouse was torn from his side by death. Three sons grieved with their father over the loss of the dear wife and mother, but indeed the three sons—too good for this world—followed after their dear mother in death. On the 21st of October 1860, Mr. Rauch was married again to Miss Sybilla Schmith, and in 1862 he was called as a teacher to St. Paul, Missouri, where he remained six years. He then moved to Guttenberg, Iowa, and three years later to Caledonia, Minnesota. After two years, he moved with his family to Dyersville, Iowa, where he was employed in private businesses. In 1874, he purchased 160 acres of land in Viola Township, Sac County, just across the border from Carroll County, because he could find no suitable parcel of land among his friends in Carroll County. Then he spent another six years engaged in his profession in Petersburg, Iowa. In the spring of 1880, Mr. Rauch moved to his above-mentioned real estate, which was still uncultivated at that time. The family still lives today on this farm, which is now equipped with fine buildings, an orchard, etc., though during this time, the active old man has always endeavored to do good works. For example, for two years he conducted the German class and gave music instruction at the public school in Arcadia, and for two years he was the organist under Rev. Norten and Rev. Schulte at the Catholic Church in Breda. During the 18 years that he has managed his farm, he has held several offices, but now the old gentleman has gone into retirement and will probably move completely to his beloved Breda. This marriage, which has been a completely happy one, was blessed with 10 children, three of which died at a young age. The names of the still-living children are: Frank, a railroad telegraphist in Eagle Grove, Iowa; Elisabeth, Mrs. B. Grote; Agnes, Mrs. Wm. Geier; Karl; Wilhelm; Maria; and Christina.
Ed. F. Richmann
This man, of whom the anniversary edition presents a true photograph, is a successful cigar maker, and the cigars that come from his works are favorably known in the entire state. Mr. Ed. F. Richmann was born on 23 December 1861 in Lehmsig, Province of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. When he was a six-year-old boy, his parents emigrated to the United States of North America and settled in Davenport, Iowa, where the young Edward attended the public schools. After completing school, he learned the cigar-making trade in Davenport, and after a successful term of apprenticeship, he worked in various American states, such as Missouri, Illinois, and Kansas. In 1884, he made his way to Ida Grove, Iowa, where he associated with a Mr. Degen and founded a cigar making business with him. The name of the firm was Richmann & Degen. A year later he sold his interest in the business and came to Carroll where he at first established a cigar making business in Peter Berger’s building on Fifth Street. After operating for three years, he moved his works to Kniest’s building on Fifth Street and at the same time opened a retail business in cigars, tobacco, pipes, and cigar holders. In 1893, he moved his works and store to Nockel’s building on the north side of the street. Here, in addition to his cigar works and retail business, he opened a wholesale business in tobacco, pipes, and cigar cases, and in 1898 he purchased the business block building.

We see here how a young and industrious man, through hard work and knowledge, has gradually risen in commerce, and from a modest beginning has built a significant and thriving business. Mr. Richmann also enjoys the respect of all his fellow-citizens and is especially popular and esteemed in the German-American community.
Bernhard Sanders
When the conversation concerns the old pioneers, then Mr. Bernhard Sanders should not go unmentioned due to the fact that he came during the late 1860s with his parents to Carroll Township, Carroll County, Iowa, where he purchased an 80-acre parcel of land, which at that time was certainly unbroken and uncultivated. After working several years as a farmer, he married the respected Miss Elisabeth Werning. The young couple then moved to Kniest Township, where the wife owned a fine farm.

Mr. Bernhard Sanders was born on 19 May 1845 in Fürstenau, Province of Hanover, Germany. He spent his childhood in his hometown and attended elementary school there. After completing school, young Bernhard devoted himself to farming. When he was just 15 years old, his parents crossed the ocean in order to establish a new home in the free country of America. They settled first near Lyons, Clinton County, Iowa, where Mr. Sanders worked loyally and hard on various farms for eight years, and then his parents moved to Carroll Township, in this county.

As a widow, his wife brought a little son named Joseph into the marriage. The names of the children of Mr. Sanders are: Heinrich, Karolina, Maria, Anna, Elisabeth, Bernardina, Franz, Bernhard, and Clara.
Jos. Schäfer [Joseph Schaefer]
One may quite rightly point to this man as an example of how, through hard work and persistence coupled with expert knowledge, one finally achieves a comfortable and independent condition. He came, almost completely broke, from New Vienna in March of 1869 as one of the first pioneers to Kniest Township. He worked for a year as a farm-hand, and then he purchased a 120-acre farm in Sheridan Township. But then he moved back again to New Vienna, where he worked another two years as a farm-hand. Then he moved at first to his previously purchased farm in Sheridan Township and married the respected Miss Elisabeth Schulte. After eight years of untiring hard work, he sold the farm and then acquired 160 acres in Wheatland Township, where he then moved with his wife. He subsequently increased his real estate by about 200 acres. The Schäfer family has lived here for 18 years. In 1893, he purchased the entire section (640 acres) that had earlier belonged to Mr. Clemens Brüning [Bruening] and sold the previously occupied 360 acres. Mr. Schäfer lives on this enormous farm with his family and operates it with his sons.

Mr. Joseph Schäfer was born on 6 March 1843 in Haaren, Westphalia, and immigrated to America at the age of 23. After two and a half years working near New Vienna, he moved to Carroll County. The names of the children produced by this happy marriage are: Anna M., Anna E., Gertrude, Conrad, Johann, Joseph, Katharina, Elisabeth, and Heinrich.
Wilhelm Scharpenkamp
Mr. Wilhelm Scharpenkamp was born on 13 August 1862 in Borbeck, County of Essen, Prussia. He attended school in his hometown, and after completion, he worked three years in the Bessemer steel works in Oberhausen. Then he took employment at the Koenigsberg coal mine near Oberhausen, where he worked uninterrupted until the spring of 1885. He then immigrated to America and landed in New York on 13 March 1885. He made his way to Iowa, where he turned to farming in Carroll County and worked on various farms for three years. On 31 January 1888, he married Miss Maria Venteicher, and he then operated the farm of his father-in-law, Mr. Herman Venteicher, along with Mr. Venteicher. Unfortunately, Mr. Scharpenkamp’s wife passed away on 27 February 1889. On 22 April 1890, he married Miss Anna Kruse, whereupon he and his young wife moved to the 80-acre farm in Grant Township, which he had previously purchased from Mr. Venteicher, and which was partially a gift from the old man. In 1894, he increased his real estate by 40 acres, so that his property amounts to 120 acres. This happy marriage has produced five children, and their names are: Gertrude, Hermann, Theodora, Anna, and Katharina. Mr. Scharpenkamp and his young wife enjoy an excellent reputation and are esteemed and respected by all their acquaintances.
Rev. Joseph Schleier, Chaplain
The Rev. Mr. Jos. Schlier was born on 17 March 1872, the son of a farmer, in Cassville, Wisconsin. When he was 7 years old, his parents moved to Shelby County, Iowa, where their little son attended the parish and public schools. At the age of just 16, he entered St. Benedict College in Atchinson [Atchison], Kansas, where he completed the classical curriculum. Then the energetic student attended St. John’s University in Collegeville, Minnesota, where he finished the curriculum in business, philosophy, and theology. He was then ordained a priest on 21 June 1898 in St. Cloud, Minnesota, by the Rev. Archbishop Trobec. The Reverend celebrated his first Holy Mass in Carling, Shelby County, Iowa, on 26 June 1898, and then he was called by the Rev. Archbishop Hennessy of Dubuque, Iowa, to be the assistant priest at Saints Peter and Paul Church in Carroll, Iowa. During his short stay here in this parish, due to his devoutness and his good nature, the young and energetic priest has gained the respect and love of all the members of the parish.
Louis Schröder [Schroeder]
This man was born on 7 August 1840 in Zaatzke, County of Ostpriegnitz, Province of Brandenburg. He received his early education there, and then he devoted himself to farming. In 1870, he moved to Berlin and acquired the burgership [rights of citizenship], an obsolete tradition from the good old days, which was associated with certain privileges. Mr. Schröder worked there for a time in a hotel, then operated a restaurant and a beer pub, and later a transport wagon. He immigrated to America in 1871 and settled in Sac Township, Sac County, Iowa, where he purchased and operated a 120-acre farm. On 21 July 1872, he married Miss Wilhelmina Krüger, a respected young lady, who was born in Berlin. Mr. Schröder operated his farm very successfully, and he later had occasion to increase his real estate by 100 acres. The land is very productive and is equipped with fine buildings. The Schröder family is very well known in Sac County as well as Carroll County, and enjoys an excellent reputation. The children’s names are: Louis, Meta, Hedwig, Anna, Paul, Otto, and Gertrude.
Joseph Schröer
Mr. Schröer was born in Alte-Geseke, Westphalia, on the 16th of July 1840. He was a child of three years when his parents emigrated to America. They settled first in New Orleans, after a year they moved to St. Louis, Missouri, then to Galena, Illinois, from there to Nauvoo, Illinois, and then to Quincy, where as a boy Mr. Schröer attended school. From Quincy, his parents moved to Bellevue, and from there to Lyons, Iowa, where the father opened a wholesale business in beer and liquor and ran a tavern. Then they moved to Savannah, Illinois, where the parents bought a farm and engaged in farming with their son Joseph. On the 11th of June 1861, Joseph married Miss Anna Elisabeth Niemann. After his worthy parents had closed their weary eyes, Mr. Joseph Schröer moved to Arcadia Township, Carroll County, Iowa, where he initially purchased 80 acres of land. He later purchased an additional 80 acres, then another 160 acres, so that he now calls 320 acres of the finest land his own, and it is equipped with good buildings and a fine residence. Mr. Schröer is a very respected German who is esteemed by all his acquaintances. Unfortunately, on the 20th of January 1899, Mr. Schröer’s dear wife died of consumption, a very hard blow for the husband as well as the children. This happy marriage produced eight children, three of whom preceded their mother into the better hereafter. The names of the children still living are: Rudolph; Joseph; Maria, Mrs. Anton Rettig; Elisabeth, Mrs. Engelbert Hagen; and Margaretha, who, along with her brother Joseph, still lives with her father.
Wilhelm Schüller [Schueller]
People familiar with the residents of Mt. Carmel will certainly also be acquainted with the esteemed Mr. Wilhelm Schueller, who operates a successful blacksmith and wagon-making shop there, and is respected and popular with all his acquaintances due to his open and honest character. This biography is accompanied by a picture of the man, which is certainly an accurate likeness.

He was born on 22 November 1851 near Cologne on the Rhine River. His parents immigrated to America in 1852 and landed in New Orleans, where his father found gainful employment for a time. The family then moved to Peru, Illinois, then to Troy Grove, and then to Lee County, Illinois, where our Wilhelm completed his early education. He then worked with his father, who ran a blacksmith shop, and in his free time assisted in working on his father’s farm until he was 24 years old. In 1869, the Schüller family moved to Boone County, Iowa, and in 1874 they moved to Grant Township, Carroll County, Iowa, where the subject of our description again assisted his father on the farm. On 24 October 1882, Mr. Wilhelm Schüller married Miss Eleonora Baumhover, a respected young lady, and then the young couple moved to Dubuque, where Mr. Schüller found employment in a farm implement factory. On 17 March 1884, Mr. Schüller moved back to Mt. Carmel, where he opened a blacksmith and wagon-making shop, which he has operated successfully up to the present day. This happy marriage has produced 6 [sic] children, of whom the oldest, a twin, is deceased. The names of the children are: Antonius, Heinrich, Wilhelm, Maria, Wilhelm [sic], Cäcilia, Eleonora, and Leo.
Heinrich Schulte
Mr. Heinrich Schulte, of whom we print a fine picture, also has the honor of being among the earliest settlers in Kniest Township because he has lived in Kniest since 1870 and has very actively participated in the development of this township, as well as the community. Whenever the good of the community required, he has always been ready to lend an energetic hand, and so he has naturally gained the respect of all his fellow-citizens. Mr. Heinrich Schulte was born on 1 January 1850 in the County of Meppen, Province of Hanover, Germany. He spent the years of his youth there, and after completing school, he assisted his father in operating the farm. In 1869, he and his father emigrated to the United States and settled initially in Boone, Iowa, where, however, they remained only one year. They then moved to Kniest Township, Carroll County, where his father purchased a 240-acre farm. Mr. Heinrich Schulte helped his father another seven years on the farm, at which time he purchased 100 acres from his father. He worked this piece of land until 1882, when he increased his real estate by about 110 acres. From this, due to making good use of his time, his industriousness, and hard work, he has risen to his present state of independence. For 15 to 16 years he has held the honorable office of board-member at St. Mary’s Church in Mt. Carmel, and he enjoys an excellent reputation among all German-Americans.
The Rev. Father Schulte
Pastor at the St. Bernard Parish in Breda.

The Rev. Conrad Ludwig Schulte was born on 27 January 1835 in Leiberg, Büren County, Westphalia, Paderborn Diocese. He immigrated to America in 1847 and was ordained a priest on 29 August 1863. His first mission was at Guttenberg, Clayton County, Iowa, along with the two neighboring towns of Kanes and Elkport. His second parish was Luxemburg, Dubuque County; his third was Festina, in Winneshiek County, along with the branches of St. Lucas and Conover, of which the former became his main parish in 1868, with West Union as a branch. In 1870 the Rev General Vicar Brazil sent him to New Vienna, Dubuque County. He worked there as an energetic pastor for 12 years. In 1882 he chose St. Bernard’s Parish in Breda, Carroll County, from several parishes which the Rev. Archbishop had offered him. His works in this parish are probably unknown to only a few readers of the Demokrat. We wish to only briefly mention that under his care and leadership the parish school was established and the beautiful church and handsome rectory were built. From here, the Lord called his true servant home after 33 years of zealous work with one final test, which he endured with forbearance, namely a disease of the throat, to which his once-strong nature fell sacrifice after a 12-month battle on 27 September 1897. His earthly remains were interred at the cemetery of St. Bernard’s Parish in Breda after a solemn funeral conducted by his three reverend brothers who survived him. His grieving parishioners paid their last respects, specifically with the erection of a very appropriate gravestone, under which he may rest in peace until the final trumpet call wakes him and calls him to his eternal reward.
Ludwig Simons
When one sets foot in the friendly little town of Maple River Junction, one quickly notices the large business building of Mr. Ludwig Simons. It is a business in general merchandise, which enjoys a good and wide customer base, and where a rich selection of all customary goods is offered for sale at reasonable prices. Mr. Simons, the friendly and obliging storeowner, has operated this business since 1892, in which year he was also named postmaster, which office he still holds today. He was born on 23 July 1862 in Lyons, Iowa, where he attended the parish and public schools, and later the high school. In 1876 his parents moved to Crawford County, where his father farmed. Young Ludwig then went into farm work, and he assisted his father in running the farm. On 12 February 1885, Mr. Simons married Miss Louise Caspary, and then from 1887 to 1889 he farmed for himself. He then took over a farm in Carroll County, and after three years he opened the business in Maple River Junction, which since then has enjoyed an excellent reputation and has acquired good support.
Tiart Harms Taddicken
The bearer of this name was born on 7 Decamber 1843 at Middoge, District of Jeverland, Grand Duchy of Oldenburg, Germany. During his childhood years, his parents moved to Tettens, a neighboring town, where he received his schooling and spent his youth. When he was just 15 years old, he went into the service of some wealthy people, and on 16 November 1866 he married Miss Margaretha T. Peters, a well-brought-up young woman. He remained in similar jobs until 1872, and then he carried out his decision to immigrate to the free country of America. On April 1 of that year, he and his young wife landed on the shore of America. The young family settled first in Whiteside County, Illinois. In the same year, he purchased 120 acres of prairie in Wheatland Township [Carroll County, Iowa], where he settled in the spring of 1873, and where the family still lives today. Under the management of Mr. Taddicken, the land is very well cultivated and is equipped with good, durable buildings and other equipment and plantings. This happy marriage has produced six children, four of whom, however, died at a young age. The children still living are: Ansina, Mrs. H. Kuhse in Aspinwall, Iowa; and Miss Johanne, who still lives with her parents.
Joseph Thielke
Mr. Thielke was born on 30 November 1845 in Eversen, County of Höxter, Westphalia. He attended school in his home village and received First Holy Communion in the local parish church. He then faced his first important question, namely, what sort of occupation to devote himself to. Like his father, he chose to be a peasant farmer and worked on his parents’ property. In 1867 he was called as a soldier and served in the 6th Westphalian Infantry regiment, No. 55, which was garrisoned at Höxter. After three years of service, the war with France began [the Franco-Prussian War]. Herr Thielke marched out with his regiment to war and took part in the battles at Forbach on 6 August, at Collen on 14 August, at Gravelotte on 18 August, and in various actions. The Regiment later marched to the Swiss border in order to offer battle to Garibaldi, but there was no encounter. After the war, Mr. Thielke was honorably discharged with a decoration. After returning back home, he soon prepared to travel, and emigrated to the United States of North America. After he had crossed the ocean and arrived here in America, he made his way immediately to Carroll County, Iowa, where he purchased and operated a 120-acre farm in Grant Township. On 11 April 1877, Mr. Thielke married Miss Louise Wiederien, a virtuous and cultured young woman. In 1894, he built a splendid house, and during the next several years he built barns and stalls, etc. , so that now the farm is among the most valuable in the township. Mr. Thielke, along with his wife and children, enjoy an excellent reputation and are popular with all their acquaintances. This happy marriage has produced six children, whose names are: Edward, August, Anton, Veronika, Wilhelm, and Rosa.
Bernhard Thobe
And since this man has lived in Kniest Township for 25 years, he can also be counted among the pioneers of Kniest. He was born on 23 February 1833 in Oddrup, Parish of Essen, District of Löhningen, Grand Duchy of Oldenburg. There he spent the years of his youth, and after his schooling he worked on various farms. In February 1865, he married Miss Maria Bernhardina Nipper, and then he worked on his own in farming until 1875. In that year, he moved to America with his family and settled in Kniest Township, Carroll County, Iowa, where he still lives today. A brother of his, who was living there since 1869 and was occupying an 80-acre farm, had died in 1874, whereupon Mr. B. Thobe took over his deceased brother’s farm upon his arrival from Germany. He added to his real estate from time to time, so that today he calls his own 280 acres of the finest land, which is equipped with large and substantial buildings, and which he has successfully operated with his children. He also has a large livestock population. The marriage was blessed with nine children, of which the following are still living: Anna, Mrs. Bernhard Benne, in Wheatland Township; Emma, a nun in the convent at Dubuque, Iowa; John; Joseph; Maria and Josephina.
Johann H. Underberg
Among the oldest settlers and most beloved German-Americans are Mr. Johann H. Underberg and his dear wife, of whom we present in another place [in this paper] an excellent photograph.

Mr. Underberg is a farmer who, from modest beginnings, with hard work and perseverance, and indeed often with hardship and the utmost exertion of his strength, has finally succeeded to the point where he and his true life’s companion may enjoy the fruits of his strenuous and productive labor in leisure. Since the year 1897, he has lived in friendly Mt. Carmel, where he purchased a fine home and leads a pleasant life with his good spouse, and if there is any difficulty in the life of this family, it is the frail condition of the old gentleman, who has been rather sapped of his physical strength for performing hard labor. We heartily wish the old gentleman and his faithful spouse a pleasant old age and the satisfaction of enjoying the health and happiness of their fine children for a long time to come.

Mr. Johann H. Underberg was born in Rasfeld, Westphalia, Germany on 21 March 1839. When he was seven years old he immigrated to North America with his parents, and they settled in Burlington, Wisconsin, where their well-brought-up little son Johann received his schooling. He then worked on his parents’ farm until he was 21 years old. During this time, his father passed away, and he and his mother moved to Galena, Illinois, where he again devoted himself to agriculture. In 1860, he and his mother moved to Sugar Creek, Clinton County, Iowa, where he rented a farm. On 1 June 1868, he married the respectable Miss Maria Kries, and in 1872, following the death of his mother in the fall of the previous year, the young couple moved to Sheridan Township, Carroll County. In the above-named township, Mr. Underberg purchased 86 acres and later increased the size of his farm , so that today his real estate amounts to 240 acres, including a fine residence and other buildings. This very Christian and happy marriage has produced 14 children, one of whom died at a tender age. The names of the children are: Valentin, Susanna, Bernhard, Johann, Franz, Wilhelm, Alois, Heinrich, Edward, Maria, Christina, and Joseph.
Gottlieb von Glan
With special pleasure, the Anniversary Edition presents the interesting biography of this experienced and widely traveled man, who is indeed well-known throughout the county, and, he and his wife and children are respected and esteemed by all their acquaintances. Mr. von Glan is one of the most capable farmers in Carroll County, and through expert knowledge and hard work has achieved significant success. He is a successful cattle-breeder and conducts this branch of agriculture very profitably and on a large scale.

Gottlieb von Glan was born 26 July 1844 in Weener, Ostfriesland [East Frisia]. He spent his childhood in his hometown, and after he had completed the local schools, he went to work on an overseas merchant ship. He traveled with the ship from Rotterdam to Hartlepool, England, then to the south tip of Australia, then to the East Indies, and from there, the ship made the return trip home. He then worked for 10 years in various breweries, for example in Berlin, Lippe-Detmold, and Dortmund, and during vacations he traveled through the entire German Empire. He again crossed the ocean in May of 1870, in order to settle permanently in the United States of North America. He made his way first to Freeport, Illinois, and after a year he moved to Ackley, Hardin County, Iowa. On 12 March 1872 he married Miss Maria Garrels, a virtuous young lady, and after living there for two years, in the fall of 1873, the young family moved to Wheatland Township, Carroll County, where Mr. von Glan purchased a 160-acre parcel of land. In 1880 he increased his real estate by about 80 acres, and in that same year he took a pleasure trip to the old fatherland. Three years later he purchased another 240 acres situated next to the first-purchased farm. The extensive farm is distinguished by large, solid, and well-built buildings for cattle and produce, and is equipped with a comfortable residence.

This exemplary marriage was blessed with eight children, of which, however, only six are still living, named: Hermann, Wobina, Heico, Gottlieb, Maria, and Bertha.

Mr. Gottlieb von Glan is a 25-year reader of the “Carroll Demokrat” and an active member of the Demokrat Printing Company.
Bernhard Vonnahme
Mr. Bernhard Vonnnahme, whose portrait we present in another place [in this paper], was born on 15 February 1836 in Barkhausen, County of Büren, Westphalia, Germany. He received his youthful education there, but he lost his father when he was only 13 years old. Despite his extreme youth, he tried as much as possible to substitute in the operation of his deceased father’s farm. However, when he barely 18 years old, he also suffered the difficult loss of his beloved mother. In 1860, Mr. Vonnahme was called to military service and assigned as a musketeer in the 15th Infantry Regiment, which at that time was garrisoned at Preusisch-Minden. He was discharged after three years of honorable service, but just a year later the war with Denmark [Danish War] broke out, and he was again called to arms. He distinguished himself as a worthy Son of the Red Earth [a nickname for Westphalian] and was discharged with decorations. He then worked again with his brother at farming and raising sheep, but on 2 May 1866 he was inducted again because the war with Austria had broken out. Mr. Vonnahme took part in the entire campaign and was frequently in the thickest hails of lead, but happily he survived all danger and returned back home uninjured. In August 1869, he emigrated with friends to America. He settled initially in New Vienna, Dubuque County, Iowa, and married Miss Gertrud Ehrig. In spring of 1871, the young couple moved to Kniest Township, Carroll County, Iowa, where they settled on a farm where Mr. Vonnahme still lives today and, along with his seven children, engages in agriculture and raising livestock on his extensive 400-acre property. The greatest loss that this man has encountered was the death of his dear life’s companion on 17 February 1896. The happy marriage was blessed with 10 children, of which the following are still living: Joseph, Anton, Maria (a nun in the Franciscan convent in La Crosse, Wisconsin), Frank, John, and Heinrich. In 1888, Mr. Vonnahme adopted a four-year-old girl, and she and the other children still today live together on the large farm which they successfully operate under the direction of their father. Mr. Vonnahme is one of the earliest settlers, he has held several offices, and is still today the president of the Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Company.
Mathias Louis Weber
The bearer of the above name is among the earliest residents of Kniest Township, and during the time that he has been settled here, he has witnessed first hand the growth and strengthening of the German culture in that township, and his name will be mentioned with honor in the history of this beautiful little spot of earth. Mr. Mathias Louis Weber was born on 11 February 1844 in Consdorf, Canton Echternach, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. After he left school, he learned the trade of miller. In accordance with the old customs, he laced up his knapsack and traveled through beautiful France, where he found employment for two years at Notre Dame College in Rethel, in the Ardennes District, on the Aisne River. He also worked a year in a large hotel in the medieval city of Rheims [Reims], on the Vesle River, the coronation city of the French kings, where he had ample opportunity to sample a few glasses of their famous champagne. In 1866 he emigrated to the United States of North America, where he initially settled in Black Hawk County, Iowa and found employment on a farm. After two years, he made his way to Kniest Township, Carroll County, where he took up the plow on a farm. On 15 October 1874, Mr. Weber married Miss Elisabeth Gütz [Guetz] and then moved to Mt. Carmel, where he opened a tavern which, however, he sold after only about half a year. He also ran a tavern for about half a year in the town of Carroll, and afterwards, he moved to his 80-acre farm in Kniest Township, which he had purchased a few years before. He later purchased an additional 81 acres of land. This happy marriage produced 15 children, two of which, however have died. The names of the children are: Maria, Wilhelm, Frank, Nickolaus, Theodor, Joseph, Magdalena, Agnes, Paulus, Emilie, Eleonora, Cecilia, and Edward.
John M. Wernimont
Mr. John M. Wernimont was born on 6 February 1832 in Hopscheid, Canton of Kappelle, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. He received his youthful education in his hometown. At the age of 15, he learned the trade of stone mason. In December 1852, as an 18-year-old boy, he came to America. For two summers he worked at his trade in Chicago, and for two winters he cut trees for the sawmills in Port Washington, Wisconsin. Then he worked at his trade for three years in Dubuque, Iowa. On 26 October 1854, he married Miss Anna K. Peters. Then for 17 years he worked in agriculture with Kings and Fillmore in Dubuque County. In 1870, as one of the earliest pioneers in Kniest Township, he purchased 169 acres of land and moved there with his family in the spring of 1871. In 1876, he purchased an additional farm of 240 acres. In 1889,he purchased 320 acres of land near Worthington, Minnesota, where he lived for nine years with his wife and children. He transferred his local land to all his grown married children. In his time he worked a lot at his trade, and he has held official offices. This blessed marriage has produced 14 children. Those children still living are: Maria T., now Mrs. A. Reiling; Wilhelm G.; Wendelin; Lena R., now Mrs. Geo. A. Pöppe [Poeppe]; Theodor; Miss Anna; and Johnny.
Joseph Wiedemeier
The very fine portrait shows Mr. Wiedemeier and his spouse, who have lived in Carroll since 1888. In that year, he and a partner purchased a business building in Carroll, and since then they have been among the best businesspeople in Carroll. At first they operated a successful tavern in the above-mentioned building. During this time, his oldest son Joseph had learned the mercantile trade, and so he sold his interest in the tavern and building, and he and his sons Joseph and Anton started a dry goods and grocery store on Fifth Street, which they operated with great success. The store building is 100 feet long and 25 feet wide and is located in the main business district of the town. The interior layout of the store is quite comfortable and indicates the practical knowledge of the owners. The various goods are nicely displayed and artistically arranged. Modern women’s dress material, fine Brussels carpets, very fine lace curtains and draperies immediately greet the eyes of the visitor. But the large inventory also includes all sorts of men’s accessories, as well as a large selection of shoes, boots, and groceries. Mr. Anton Wiedemeier is a woodcarving artist, and a “button case” which he made is protected by a patent. He also fashioned other very fine articles for the business, and the store may be considered a model business. In particular, he works in framing pictures, and he does very fine work. Indeed, one can say that Mr. Joseph Wiedemeier, and his sons Joseph and Anton, conduct a reliable and honest business. The senior member of the business was born in Entrup, near Nieheim, Westphalia, on 23 September 1844. As a young man he learned the trade of mason, at which he worked for seven years. On 18 June 1870, he married Miss Veronika Thielke from Eversen, near Nieheim, who was born on 28 September 1848. Right after the wedding, the young couple immigrated to North America and settled in Carroll, Iowa. Mr. Wiedemeier quickly purchased an 80-acre farm and sought employment on the Northwestern Railroad. After a year, he and his wife moved to their previously-purchased farm and in 1876, he purchased another 114 acres. Two years later, his wife and two children made a visit to Germany, and on their return he purchased another 88 acres. Mr. Wiedemeier served one term on the town council, and he and his family are widely popular and respected.
Jacob Wiewel
This old pioneer of Kniest Township was born in Bobenheim, [Rhineland-Pfalz], in the Kingdom of Bavaria, on 19 November 1843. After successfully completing school, he worked with his father in the country. When he was just a youth of 17 years, he sought employment on the railroad, and in 1866 he immigrated to America. On the 2nd of May, he landed in New Orleans and then made his way to Memphis. Entirely out of money, he fell ill in Memphis. A sister worked for a Jewish merchant, where Mr. Wiewel found a hospitable reception and received good care from the charitable people until he was fully recovered. He then went to Dunlit, Wisconsin, where he had relatives living. He worked on farms there until 1867, and then he went to Dubuque, Iowa. He worked there in a hotel for two and a half years. In 1870, he came to Carroll County, where he moved onto a 200 acre farm [in Kniest Township]. In 1871, he married Miss Lena Schulte, and they had three children: Maria, Mathias, and Lizzie. Unfortunately, his wife died after nine years of happy marriage. In 1881, he married Miss Katharina Discher, and the following children are the fruits of this happy marriage: Helene, Berhardina [sic], Johann, Katharina, Clara, August, and Wendelin. Mr. Wiewel is a hard-working farmer and is popular and respected by all. He has a beautiful home and fine livestock.
Joseph Wiewel
Whoever has visited the friendly village of Mt. Carmel on a summer day and looked around for a good refreshment has certainly also had the opportunity to get to know the “Bayerischen Hof” [Bavarian Inn], which has been operated for years by Mr. Joseph Wiewel, of whom we print a fine picture in another place in this paper. Mr. Wiewel is a friendly, jovial innkeeper, who is always offers a hospitable reception at any time, and who always keeps an excellent glass of beer on tap.

He was born in Bobenheim, on the Rhine River, in the Kingdom of Bavaria, on 11 September 1837. He received his early education there, and after completing school, he learned the trade of shoemaker from his father. Since his father operated a small farm, he also assisted his father in the fields in his free time. Having been found physically fit for service, he was inducted as a soldier in 1860 and served six years active duty with the 13th Infantry Regiment. As a reservist, he took part in the campaign against Prussia, and when the German Brother War [Austro-Prussian War] ended, he was honorably discharged. He then returned to work with his parents for a short time, and on 19 November 1867, Mr. Jos. Wiewel married Miss Elisabeth Graf. On 1 May 1868, the young couple immigrated to the United States of North America. They settled first in Grant County, Wisconsin, where Mr. Wiewel established a shoemaker shop. On 19 March 1875, he and his wife moved to Mt. Carmel, Carroll County, Iowa, where they acquired a fine home, and Mr. Wiewel worked at his trade and also opened the above-mentioned inn. The Wiewel family lives there still today, highly respected by all their acquaintances. This happy marriage has produced seven children, and those still living are: Joseph, August, Maria, and Johann.
Nickolaus Witry
With special pleasure, we here present the history of a man who has lived for many years here in the county and is honored and respected by all his acquaintances. Mr. Nickolaus Witry was born on 8 March 1837 in Herborn, Luxembourg. After his school years, he devoted himself to farming, working part-time with his parents and part-time on other farms. He then learned the trade of wagonmaker and worked at it for three years. After he had then worked a while longer with his parents on the farm, he immigrated to America in 1866 and settled in Frenchtown, Blackhawk County, Iowa, where he again found employment on a farm for a year. After a short break, during which he was again employed at his trade, he again took up farming, and he and a partner purchased 100 acres of land near Independence, Pocahontas County, Iowa. He worked on his own on this farm for two years, and then the partners sold the land, and in 1871 Mr. Witry purchased a 140-acre farm for himself in Kniest Township, Carroll County, Iowa, which he then operated. On 10 July 1873, he married Miss Maria Kopra [possibly should be Cooper], and after the marriage had been blessed with two children, his wife died on 9 September 1875. On 8 January 1876, he married his second wife, Miss Sophia Salmen, with whom he is still joined in a happy marriage. Mr. Witry worked up to 1895 on his farm in Kniest Township, which meanwhile he had equipped with fine buildings, and then, already along in years, the couple moved to the town of Carroll, where they purchased a beautiful home in the Fourth Ward near Saints Peter and Paul Church, so that they could retire and enjoy the fruits of their hard and successful work. The names of the children are Mathias and Clara, both of whom, however, died at a young age.
Woodring & Son
Those familiar with the business world of Carroll will certainly know the popular business of Woodring & Son, which is located next to the post office. In 1881 these men came from Marshalltown to Carroll and took over the furniture business of Mr. John Conter, for which they paid $500. But since then the business has grown so much that it must be considered the largest business of this kind in Iowa. It is a building 26 feet wide and 120 feet long, two stories high, which is filled from top to bottom with the most customary, as well as the fanciest, furniture. A large warehouse filled with all types of merchandise is also located near the business. In the large store, one finds everything from the usual kitchen furnishings, all the way up to the finest parlor and bedroom furniture, carpets, and baby carriages. The stock of coffins is located in a separate room. Mr. Woodring, Jr. is the only embalmer licensed by the state board of health. The business is reliable, and so it has earned the support of the residents of Carroll County.

Return to 1899 Biographies Index

Back to Der Carroll Demokrat Table of Contents