Butler County IAGenWeb
Washington Township, Section 27
and Sections Map
View submitted Memorial Park Cemetery gravestones photos in Gravestone Photo Project
Memorial Park Cemetery Location and Driving Directions Map
Memorial Park Cemetery is located in Washington Township, section 27, about one-half mile south of Austinville at the site of the old school house. In 1926 John Abkes donated this site to the Austinville Christian Church to be used as a cemetery under the supervision of the consistory. On September 1, 1926 the general Rules for governing the Memorial Park Cemetery were drawn up.
The first grave in the cemetery was that of Leola M. Janssen who died in 1927 at the age of 13 months.
In 1935 the consistory asked the ladies of the church to supervise the cemetery. A meeting was held in June 1935. Officers chosen were: Mrs. Jerry Pott, president; Mrs. Jake Schaap, treasurer. When Mrs. Pott died in 1936, Mrs. Rykena became president.
On April 28, 1935, the officers and board members who signed the articles of Incorporation were Marian Harken, Helen Abkes, Viola Ploeger, Nella Schapp, Jeanette Schapp, Mrs. C. B. DeVries, Tena Siebenga, Fannie Abkes and Carrie Voss. By-laws were added in 1954.
On Memorial Day, flags are displayed for servicemen John Henry Bode, Henry Neymeyer, Eldin High, Wendell Kromminga and Harold E. Voss.
Copyright ©1996-2016 The IAGenWeb Project and Contributors
All Rights Reserved
Page Last Update: 18 Oct 2016