H. B. Akin

Among the early settlers and the progressive and valued residents of Butler county is numbered H. B. Akin, engaged in agricultural pursuits upon a fine tract of land adjoining the town of Dumont. For many years he was closely and prominently connected with educational interests of this section of the state and he was for two terms county superintendent of schools, a position which he filled with credit and ability. He was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, December 15, 1857, and there remained until he was six years of age, when the family removed to Greene County, Indiana. Five years later they came to Iowa, locating in Clarksville, this county, in 1868. He supplemented a primary-
school education by a course in the Epworth Seminary and by one year in the State Normal School, after which he turned his attention to teaching. After teaching for ten years in the country schools he tanght for two years in Dumont and then served for four years as county superintendent, being located in Allison and discharging the duties of that position in a manner which reflected credit upon his ability, energy and public spirit. After his term of service as county superintendent Mr. Akin resumed his teaching in the Dumont school and for some years thereafter was closely connected with educational work as president of the Dumont school board, for a number of years past he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits and is now the owner of a small farm adjoining the city of Dumont.

On the 16th of November, 1898, Mr. Akin was united in marriage to Miss Anna Brown, a daughter of the Hon. H. C. Brown, of whom further mention is made elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Akin are the parents of three children, Raymond B., Homer B. and Floy B.

Mr. Akin give his political allegiance to the republican party and has always been interested and active in public affairs, holding various positions of trust and responsibility. He served for four years as township clerk and has also been president of the republican township committee and a member of the county committee. On numerous occasions he was a delegate to county and congressional conventions and is always to be found among the leaders in the promotion of any worthy public project. Fraternally he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, having served through all the chairs of the local lodge, which he has also represented in the grand lodge of the state. He served three years as district deputy. He is also connected with the Rebekahs, the Yeomen and the Mystic Workers. He is one of the best known men in his part of Butler county, where he has resided since his childhood and where his many excellent qualities of mind and character have gained him the respect and esteem of all who have been in any way associated with him.