St Peter Lutheran Church, Oran
Pictorial Atlas, Bremer County, Iowa 1983.
Transcribed by Karlyn Armstrong.
The congregation was organized in the spring of 1902 with twelve charter members while Pastor F. Schedtler was serving our "mother" church at Buck Creek. The members around Grove Hill decided to build a church of their own on November 16, 1902. The new church was dedicated to the glory of God.
On June 22, 1952, the congregation observed its golden anniversary.
In 1955 it was decided to move the church into Oran. The next major step was the purchase of the old Zion Lutheran Church of Oelwein. It took from May 23 to the 27th to take down the church and move the lumber into Oran. During the summer, men, women and children were busy getting the lumber ready for the carpenters.
On July 15 the former Grove Hill Church was moved into Oran. The laying of the corner stone took place October 16, 1955, and the church was dedicated June 3, 1956.
The entrance was enlarged in 1977, and on September 25, 1977, the congregation observed the 75th anniversary. 1977 - Baptism members - 375, Confirmed members - 339. Present Pastor Arnold Thalacker is the 14th Pastor to serve the Church.
St. Peter ALCW
The St. Peter Ladies Aid was organized on May 25, 1949, with 14 ladies in attendance. Rev. Erich Dornbusch was serving as our pastor. The first meetings were held in the home of the hostess.
In 1970 our Ladies Aid was changed to ALCW and every woman of the church is automatically a member, whether on an active or inactive list. At present there are 48 members.
This page was last modified on March 17, 2007