Home History Townships & Maps Birth, Marriage & Death Biographies Census Military Churches Schools

M. C. and Crystal Cole

Photo page.pdf">Image Page 367

M. C and Crystal Cole, better known as "Crys" and "Ty," came to Madrid in August, 1941. Ty was hired as coach and teacher in the Madrid Public High School. That fall, World War II was declared, with the bombing of Pearl Harbor. This made a great change in everyone's lives. Many of the younger teachers were inducted into the service of our country, and some of the older ones enlisted. This made the load heavier on those who remained.

By the Fall of 1942, the government asked all physical education instructors across the country to start a more rugged physical training program for all 17- and 18-year-olds. As soon as the 17- and 18-yearolds graduated in the Spring of 1943, they were inducted into the service, if physically able to serve. The Madrid "Coach Cole" didn't escape either. By September, 1943, he received his "Greetings" from Uncle Sam, and the Army took charge of "Ty's" life for the next two years. After his discharge from the U.S. Army in 1945, on September 30, he had decided to farm instead of returning to the teaching profession.

On February 1, 1946, the Coles moved to a farm one and one-half miles east of Madrid, owned by Dr. and Mrs. Glenn Blome. There, they lived and farmed for 24 years. In the Summer of 1947, "Ty" was asked by the School Board of Education to help establish the on-the-job-training classes for young farmers who had returned from the War. This was continued for about three years, until all veterans interested in farming had finished the course. There were enough veterans to have two classes the first two years; then there were enough left to continue with one class for the third year. After two years of teaching, the other instructor took over the remaining class, and Ty put his full time efforts into farming.

In the Summer of 1950, Crys and Ty bought what was known as the "Anton Check Farm" on "Big Creek." They continued to live on the Blome Farm, and kept hired help on the farm which they had purchased. Other land was rented as it became available: the Mabel Johnson farm, and the Jacobson farm, close to Madrid.

Ty's first love on the farm was his cattle and livestock. Many beef cattle and hogs were fed out and sold on the market for food.

Over the years, Ty served on many boards and committees, such as the Boone County Fair Board, the Soil Conservation Commission (for six years), and he represented the Beef Producers of Iowa on the State Marketing Board for two years. In addition, he was active in various boards and committees of the Methodist Church in Madrid, with whom both he and Crys were affiliated. During some of this time, Crys worked at the City State Bank in Madrid.

In 1966, Ty was elected to serve on the Boone County Board of Supervisors. He served two, four-year terms. With the burden of county supervisor, the farm operation was lessened, and so the rented land was re-leased to others. In 1970, they moved to their own farm until 1973, they sold the farm and equipment and on January 9, 1974, moved to their present home one and one-half miles west of Madrid, in the Reddish Addition.

On January 2, 1975, Ty completed his second term as Supervisor, and became fully retired. The remainder of that winter was spent in Florida. Since that time, they have spent their winters in Tucson, Arizona, and their summers here in Madrid.

Crys and Ty were raised in southern Iowa, Crys's ancestors from Virginia and Ty's from Tennessee.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]