Home History Townships & Maps Birth, Marriage & Death Biographies Census Military Churches Schools

Jacob M. Carlson

Photo page 359

Jacob Malcolm Carlson came to this country from Sweden in 1878, when he was 26 years old. He was employed as a farm hand for six months, and then employed by various merchants for three years before going into business for himself. He then purchased the Webb farm (now owned by Eldon Olson) where he spent five years. After leaving the farm, he went into business with J. E. Johnson. The business was located where the present Hobby Shop is. When this partnership was dissolved, he retained the stock and moved it into the store recently occupied by Perrier's Market.

In 1908, Mr. Carlson was elected to the Board of Supervisors. He served three terms and was chairman of the Board when the present courthouse was built. He served several times on the Madrid City Council and built the first house in Madrid to have inside plumbing, that house being located at 502 South Water Street.

On December 19, 1880, he married Mathilda Sell of Madrid, and they were the parents of five children: Edwin, William, Harry, Clarence, and Dora Cumming. There were five grandchildren: Evelyn and Warren Carlson, Wilma Bain of Madrid, Virgil Carlson, of Witchita Falls, Texas, and Lorraine Houck of Palm Springs, California.

Mr. and Mrs. Carlson were members of the Mission Church, and he was a 50-year member of the Masonic Lodge, and was also a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge in Madrid.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]