George E. Turner
Posted By: Karon Velau (email)
Date: 11/8/2022 at 21:15:55
George E. Turner
George E. Turner bought a tract of wild land on sections 5, 6 and 7 of Union township, in 1876, locating in 1877. He was a pioneer of Mitchell county, emigrating in 1856, and followed his trade, that of carpenter and joiner, until 1867, when he opened a furniture store, which he sold in 1876, and settled on his present home the following year. He was born in Jefferson Co. N. Y., Oct. 7, 1830. He lived on a farm and when twelve years of age his father, who was a blacksmith, moved to Rodman and opened a blacksmith shop. George attended school during winters, in the summer farmed, until eighteen years of age, when he went to a cabinet shop to learn the trade. He only worked nine months at it, then learned the carpenter trade, following it in New York until 1852, when he emigrated to Winnebago Co., Ill., and spent two years. He then went to Van Buren Co., Mich., and worked at his trade until coming to Mitchell county. He was married in 1854 to Mary Hanson, by whom he had three children-Henry W., Josephine J. and Beamon. He is the son of Henry Turner, a native of Vermont, being the son of a Revolutionary soldier, and a pioneer of Jefferson Co., N. Y. He was married there to Rosetta Edwards, a daughter of a soldier of 1812. They emigrated to Jefferson Co., Wis., in 1855. A few years later they moved to Portage Co., Wis., where the father died in 1880. The mother still lives in that county. Source: History of Mitchell and Worth Counties, Iowa, 1884, p.881
Worth Biographies maintained by Karon S. Velau.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen