[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Whalen, Joseph 1844 1927


Posted By: Joy Moore (email)
Date: 5/14/2015 at 09:00:22


A highly improved tract of four hundred acres in Burr Oak township, known as the Silver Creek Stock Farm, is owned and conducted by Joseph Whalen. He is a native of County Waterford, Ireland, born February 15, 1844, a son of Morris and Johanna (Colbert) Whalen, who were likewise natives of County Waterford. In 1849 the father emigrated to America with his family, at that time consisting of a wife and three children. Their first location was in Dutchess county, New York, where they spent three years. They then journeyed to the middle west, spending four years in Chicago, while in 1856 a permanent home was established on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, located in Fremont township, Winneshiek county. The father purchased this land from the government and in due course of time broke the sod and prepared the land for cultivation, divided his acreage into fields of convenient size, erected substantial buildings and made it one of the well improved farms of this section of the state. Here the father engaged in farming throughout his remaining days. He passed away April 22, 1869, at the age of fifty-three years, while his wife lived to an advanced age, departing this life in 1895, when seventy-eight years of age. In their family were six children, as follows: Joseph, of this review; Thomas, who resides in Fremont township; Catharine, the deceased wife of Martin Ryan; Morris, who died in September, 1906, leaving a widow and thirteen children; Mary Ann, the widow of John Knox of Burr Oak; and Nell, who became the wife of Thomas Flynn, and passed away in Lake county, South Dakota.

Joseph Whalen was a little lad of five years when brought by his parents to the new world, and he was a lad of twelve when the removal was made to Winneshiek county. He was trained to work on the home farm and remained under the parental roof until he had reached the age of twenty-two years, but in the meantime he farmed on his own account. In 1866 he purchased a quarter section of land on the state line, which constitutes a part of his present holdings and he has since added to his acreage until he now owns four hundred acres on sections 7 and 18, Burr Oak township. This land with the exception of some that is devoted to pasturage, is all under cultivation and has been improved with substantial farm buildings for the shelter of grain and stock and is one of the valuable farm properties of his section of Winneshiek county. In addition to general farming, Mr. Whalen is also engaged in breeding and raising stock. In 1886 he imported five Percheron stallions, one Percheron mare, one Clydesdale stallion, and one Clydesdale mare, and has since been engaged in breeding stock. In 1892 he purchased shorthorn cattle and also breeds and raises Poland China and Jersey red hogs. He handles only the best grades of stock and takes a deep interest in his stock-raising. He is a man of sound business judgment and is meeting with success in both branches of his work.

Mr. Whalen was married in 1878 to Jane Daugherty, who was born in Howard county, Iowa, in 1860. Unto this union were born ten children: Morris, of Cresco, Iowa; Patrick, of Granada, Minnesota; Mary, the wife of Frank Brady, also of Granada; Loretta, the wife of John Cashman, also of that place; Joe of Butte county, South Dakota; Alice, the wife of William Gaul, a resident of Burr Oak township; Urban, also of Butte county; Lenus and Paul, both at home; and Agnes. The wife and mother departed this life in 1898, and in 1900 Mr. Whalen was married a second time, this union being with Miss Maggie Brady, a native of Illinois.

In his political belief Mr. Whalen is a democrat, and he is a communicant of St. Agnes Catholic church at Plymouth Rock. He has led a busy, active and useful life and his sound business judgment and well directed labors have brought him well merited success, so that today he is numbered among the well-to-do and substantial citizens of Winneshiek county.

Source: History of Winneshiek County, Iowa Vol. II Chicago the S. J. Clark Publishing Company 1913

St. Agnes Cemetery

Winneshiek Biographies maintained by Bill Waters.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]