Re: James A. Shelley - 1903
Posted By: Bill Hansen (email) In Response To: James A. Shelley - 1903 (Betty Woollums)
Date: 7/22/2005 at 07:03:29
In Response To: James A. Shelley - 1903 (Betty Woollums)
James A. Shelley/Shelly was the son of M. Bailey Shelley born abt 1825 in either Ohio or Kentucky depending on which census you believe. According to his tombstone he served in Company D 3rd Indiana Infantry in the Mexican War. He married Polly Ann Nash on April 5, 1853 in Davis County, Iowa. They had at least 5 children all most likely born in Perry Township, Davis county, Iowa.
John W. Shelley, born abt 1854
James A. Shelley, born June 6, 1856
William T. Shelley, born abt 1858
Mary A. Shelley, born abt 1860
Silas E. Shelley, born abt 1862
James A. Shelley was born June 6, 1856 in Davis County and died on January 6, 1903 in Green Township, Wapello County. James is buried in Dunning Cemetery, Lick Creek Township, Davis County. He married Josephine Wheaton in abt 1874 in Davis county. Josephine (Josi) Wheaton was born March 11, 1853 probably near Pulaski, Davis County, Iowa and died on August 23, 1935 in Ottumwa.
According to the 1900 Federal census James and Josephine had 11 children of which 8 were still living in 1900. These are the ones I have been able to find.
1. Ebb Shelley, born May 1879 in Davis County. Married May Hobbs on March 26, 1912 in Wapello County.
2. John W. Shelley, born May 1881 in Davis County, Married Lottie Bean June 3, 1905 in Wapello County.
3. Ebbie Shelley, born September 27, 1883, died May 12, 1900. Burried in Dunning Cemetery.
4. Ada Shelley, born March 1888 in Missouri. Married James Phillips on June 25, 1905 in Wapello County.
5. Alva Shelley, born June 1890 in Davis County. Married Rachel O. Crigar on November 30, 1911 in Wapello County.
6. Alice Shelley, born September 1892 in Davis County. Married Emery Crickbaum on September 23, 1911.
7. Minnie Shelley, born October 1895 in Davis County. Married Leonard M. Crigar on December 22, 1911
8. Henry Shelley, last known to be living in Sioux City, Iowa in 1935
9. Laura Shelley, married to ____ Sample. Was living in St. Joseph, Missouri in 1935
After the death of James in 1903, Josephine married Alfred T. Huddleston on July 18, 1908 in Wapello County. Josephine is buried in Dunning Cemetery under the name Josephine Huddleston.
According to her obit, Josephine died at the home of her daughter Mrs. Ada Phillips on August 23, 1935 at age 82. Listed as survivors are daughters Ada Phillips and Alice Shelley of Ottumwa and Laura Sample of St. Joseph, Missouri; son, Henry Shelley of Sioux City; and brothers John Wheaton and William Wheaton of Pulaski.
Messages In This Thread
Wapello Queries maintained by Deborah Lynne Barker.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen