[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

George B. Johnson 1865-1922


Posted By: Karen Bergquist Uhr, Volunteer (email)
Date: 4/23/2003 at 14:19:28


George B. Johnson died Wednesday night, December 6, at his home in Ft. Worth, Texas after an illness of about three years of paralysis.

His serious condition was noticed only a few hours before his decease. His brother J. A. Johnson, and other relatives at Bonaparte were notified as promptly as possible.

Funeral services were held at Ft. Worth, Texas on Friday afternoon, after which the body was brought to Bonaparte via the Santa Fe railway, arriving at Ft. Madison early Sunday morning.

A short funeral service was held at the home of Mrs. Johnson's mother, Mrs. Jeannetta Hanback, in Bonaparte, on Sunday afternoon, Rev Coppoc officiating, and interment in the Bonaparte cemetery.

The body was accompanied here by the wife and two sons, George of New Orleans, and Will, of Ft. Worth.

Following is the obituary sketch which was read at the service in Bonaparte.

George Brinton Johnson, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Johnson, was born in Bonaparte, Iowa, July 14th, 1865.

He was the yuoungest of a family of eight children, four sisters and four brothers; of these there is but one remaining, his brother, Joseph A. Johnson of Bonaparte.

He passed his early childhood and boyhood in Bonaparte where he was eduacted in the public schools.

At the age of sixteen he learned telegraphy at Bonaparte, Iowa. After serving at various places in Iowa for three years he removed to Texas in 1883, locating at Ft. Worth, where at the age of twenty-two he was made a train despatcher, being the youngest train despatcher in the state.

In 1887 he was united in marriage with Allie M. Hanback of Bonaparte, Iowa.

In the same year he was made chief despatcher, which position he held until 1909 when he was made superintendent of the Texas and Pacific Railway and the Missouri, Kansas, & Texas Railway, which responsible position he held for several years.

He then made manager and instructor of the Bloc signal system until he was stricken on Nov. 26, 1919, since which time he has been confined to his home.

On December 6, 1922, at 10:30 p.m. he passed to his heavenly reward, leaving his wife and two sons, George A., of New Orleans, La., and William A. of Ft. Worth, Texas.

He was a deacon of the Broadway Presbyterian church of Ft. Worth for twenty years and at the time of his death was president emeritus of the Board of Deacons of that church.

He was a prominent and honored member of the Knights of Pythias, being a chairman of the finance Committee of the Grand Lodge of the State of Texas for twenty-three years.

He was a man honored and loved by all who knew him, always willing and ready to respond to any call or summons. He was kind of heart and sympathetic toward all mankind.

Source: Newspaper unknown
Margaret Johnson Meek Scrap book

[note: his gravestone shows his birth year as 1864, not 1865]

Gravestone Photo

Van Buren Obituaries maintained by Rich Lowe.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]