[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Luella George


Posted By: Karen Bergquist Uhr, volunteer
Date: 5/2/2004 at 17:06:05

An Iowa Lady, Frantic Over the Death of Her Lover
Shoots Herself

Cincinnati, O., October 5--One of the most heartrending cases of suicide ocurred here to-day. Miss Luella George, a young lady of 18 years, who resides in Bonaparte, Iowa, and who has been here a month in attendance upon the College of Music, deliberately shot herself in her room at her boarding house, at Fourth and Smith streets. The circumstances that make the case a sad one are these. Some time ago, while visiting at Olney, Ill., Miss George met Mr. Fred B. Harriman, a traveling salesman for Messrs. Voorhees, Miller & Co., wholesale clothiers, at 95 West Third Street. Harriman made Olney his headquarters while traveling in Illinois, because his mother and one or two brothers live at Albion, not far away. The acquaintance of the two ripened into an ardent attachment, and they were engaged to be married this coming December. Miss George has two brothers, attorneys, living at Bonaparte, and one, a druggist, living at Keokuk, Iowa. When they heard of the engagement of their sister, they came to Cincinnati to make inquiries about Harriman, and were thoroughly satisfied with her choice. Miss George is described as a genius, an excellent artist, and a fine musician. She came here to take lessons under the auspices of the College of Music. Last Monday evening young Harriman was attacked with a congestive or malarial fever. Miss George immediately manifested the depth of her attachment for him by the devotion with which she attended him. His room was adorned daily with fresh flowers, and she was with him herself as long and as often as the physician and nurse would allow. His brother Henry came to assist in taking care of him. Two physicians were called, and every possible attention was given him. Yesterday he sank so low that he lost his wind, though when Miss George came in he said, "Pettie, you have come to see me again," and then sank into a stupor from which he never rallied. The poor girl refused to leave his bedside. The physicians, the nurse, the dying man's two brothers and the wife of one of them, Mr. Voorhees and Mr. Rupel, of the firm of Voorhees & Miller, were in the room, and the scene they describe as the most heartrending they ever beheld. The poor girl threw herself on the floor and prayed with the most passionate agon(y) that Frank might not die, or if he did die that she might go with him. She tore her hair, and with a pathos and depth of feeling that brought tears to the eyes of men, prayed and prayed again for the life of her lover. At last, just before the final death struggle, her physical powers gave way and she fell in a spasm. She was carried rigid as if she had been dead into an adjoining room. By the time she revived Harriman was dead. It was then midnight. She did not weep, but had a strange manner that was startling to people about her. She said she would go to her boarding-house, and refused company. Mr. Voorhees insisted on going with her, and he did go. When she got home she was in hysterical spasms. A physician was called, and the rest of the night was spent in trying to soothe her. Her ravings were pitiful. She called the name of her dead lover, childed him, sang for him declared she would die, and showed in every way that her reason was well-nigh unsettled. She was calmed somewhat by morning, but still was watched until she seemed to be entirely rational. She walked out, and, it is supposed, bought a pistol. She was followed by a couple of young men, who found her near the Post Office and took her home. At 11 o'clock she talked with Mr. Voorhees and Henry Harriman about going with the remains to Albion. She wanted to see Fred right away, and said she wanted to talk with him. They told here they would send a carriage for her at 3 o'clock. She said she would be ready to go with them, and wanted to go to the burial. Soon after she fell to weeping, and asked Mrs. Rogers, with whom she boarded, where her heart was. She said that was where all the pain was. She begged to be left alone a few minutes. Her request was granted and in a few minutes a shot was heard, and she was found in her bed with the fatal stream issuing from her bosom. She had opened her clothing and placed the muzzle of the pistol over her heart but the ball did not pierce that organ. It went through the lungs. The first physician who called said she could not live five hours, but she rallied soon after, and refused to allow any treatment, saying she intended to die. She was chloroformed and thus treated. To-night she is resting well, but the physicians are unable to tell the result, as they have not found the course of the ball. Harriman's remains were taken to Albion to-night for interment.

Source: Newspaper unknown
Margaret Johnson Meek Scrapbook


Van Buren Documents maintained by Rich Lowe.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]