Wiley A. Jones M.D.
JONES, VAUGHN, MILLER, MOORE
Posted By: Fran Hunt, Volunteer
Date: 10/5/2001 at 20:27:57
From the Portrait and Biographical Album of Jefferson and Van Buren Counties – 1890
WILEY A. JONES, M. D.
Wiley A. Jones, M.D. Justice of the Peace and medical practitioner of Cantril, has for some fourteen years been engaged in the practice of his profession at this place. His residence in Iowa, however, covers a period of forty-five years and his is numbered among the pioneer settlers of Jefferson County.
The Jones family of which our subject is a descendant if of Welsh origin and was founded by his great-grandfather who, in 1750, left Wales, his native land, and crossed the Atlantic to this country. Horatio Jones, the grandfather of the Doctor, served as a drummer in the war of 1812. He settled in North Carolina, where he married, but in 1813 he left that state, removing to Virginia, where he made his home until 1830. Accompanied by his family he then took up his residence in Indiana, where he died in 1860, at the age of seventy-six years. He followed farming throughout his entire life, meeting with good success in his undertaking. His son William C., father of our subject, was born in Surrey County, North Carolina, July 9, 1809, but was reared to manhood in Virginia, and at the age of twenty-one years accompanied the family to Indiana. In 1830 he was united in marriage with Miss Permelia A. Vaughn, who was born in Prince Edwards County Virginia, October 3, 1811, and was a daughter of William Vaughn. She was also descended from good old Revolutionary stock. Six children were born of their union—Isaac D., William H., Cornelius A., Martin V.B., Wiley A. and Elizabeth. After locating in Indiana, Mr. Jones followed farming for a livelihood and gave considerable attention to political affairs. He served as Sheriff and Treasurer of Johnson County for six years, from 1838 until 1844; was census taker in 1840, and after removal to Jefferson County, served in 1849 as School Fund Commissioner and in 1860 was census-taker for the eastern half of the county. He is still living in Fairfield where he is numbered among the leading and valued citizens. He still takes an active interest in anything pertaining to the county’s welfare and is a contributor to the county papers. In 1889 he was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife, a most estimable lady who died on October 18.
Wiley A. Jones was born in Franklin, Johnson County, Indiana, March 10, 1840, and was the fifth in order of birth in the family, but only five years of his life were spent in his native county. In 1845 the family came to Iowa, and upon a farm southeast of Fairfield he was reared to manhood. In his youth he received such educational advantages as the common schools afforded, but no content with such privileges he determined to pursue a more extended course of study, and to this end, when seventeen years of age he began teaching in the district schools. By this method he was enabled to attend the Fairfield University, where he continued his studies for a year. He then again taught school until 1860, when he began fitting himself for the medical profession under the direction of Dr. N. Steele, with whom he pursued his studies until 1864. He then began practicing in Primrose Iowa, where he remained until the fall of 1865, when in order to further fit himself for his chosen work he attended the Medical University of Ann Arbor Michigan. He pursued a full course of study in that institution and was graduated in 1867, after which he located in Glasgow, Jefferson County Iowa. In a few months however, he removed to Winchester, Van Buren County, where he continued practice for four years with fair success. His next place of residence was Fairfield, where for six years he carried on the drug business. Selling out in 1876, he came to Cantril and with the interests of this city has since been identified.
The Doctor was married on April 9, 1867, to Miss Altha Miller, daughter of Thomas and Eliza Moore Miller and a native of Jefferson County, born May 3, 1847. Unto them were born eight children, but only four are now living: Myrta, wife of W.W. Blanchard, of Milton: Isaac T., Carrie and Neal P. The Doctor, Mrs. Jones and the two eldest children are members of the Christian Church, and his is a charter member of Apollo Lodge No, 461, A.F. & A.M., and Charter Master. In political sentiment is a Democrat and has held several local offices, including that of Justice of the Peace, of both of which he is the present incumbent. The cause of education has ever found in Dr. Jones a warm friend and during the twelve years in which he served as School Director he did effective service for that cause. The efficiency of the Cantril schools is due in no little measure to his untiring efforts in their behalf, and other worthy public interests have received form him a like hearty support and cooperation. Among his other official duties he held the office of Postmaster under President Cleveland’s administration and administered the affairs of the office to the satisfaction of all concerned.
Until within a few years past the Doctor had one of the largest practices of any man in the profession in the county, but physical disabilities have caused him to lay aside the more arduous duties connected with the work. In August of 1885 he was stricken with rheumatism and for six months was utterly helpless. In February of 1888, he slipped on the sidewalk and fractured his left arm, and on May 19th of the same year he was thrown from his buggy, his horse running away, and the arm broken again, together with both collarbones. The Doctor has the respect of the entire community and the esteem and good will of many friends.
I am not related, and am only copying this for the information of those who might find this person in their family.
Van Buren Biographies maintained by Rich Lowe.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen