ED C. AYERS
AYERS, HARRIS GROESBECK
Posted By: Irma (email)
Date: 7/11/2009 at 10:34:18
AFTON STAR ENTERPRISE
DECEMBER 12, 1929
ED C. AYERS PIONEER DOCTOR
Dr. Ed. C. Ayers, that grand old man, has witnessed the arrival of many of us, has seen many cross the great divide. He has seen the hardships of an early country Doctor and has seen Lorimor rise from the struggling village to the now thriving little city of today.
"Doc", as he is better known, came into the limelight of Lorimor and vicinty in the year 1886, before the town was platted, living on a farm eight miles southwest of Lorimor in the Emmanuel neighborhood. From this farm land, space was deeded for the building of the Emmanuel Baptist Church, in the year 1889. The lumber was hauled by Dr. Ed Ayers, William Harris and William Groesbeck.
During the time he was on the farm "Doc" studied under Dr. Lauder of Afton, making his journey to and from that place on horseback. After several years under Dr. Lauder's prescritorship, he studied medicine at the University of Iowa and graduated in 1894.
Immediately after graduation, Dr. Ayers located in Lorimor, Drs. Bailey and Chapman were already practicing at that time.
Since Dr. Ayers located in Lorimor he has always taken a leading part in all activities of the town and community - always ready to do anythng within his power to promote better living conditions, better general welfare of all the people with whom he came in contact.
During his practice in the community Dr. Ayers has become widely known throughout the state and has made such a vast number of friends that it is useless for us to try estimating the number, for to know "Doc" is to have a friend.
"Doc" has seen and been through the hardships of the early pioneer doctor, answering calls day and night, winter and summer, sunshine or rain, blizzards and whatnot - always ready and willing to go through the worst blizzzard or storm to the calls ranging from the most serious to the "tummy" aches of the little tots who nine times out of ten would get well as soon as they saw "Doc's" smile of encouragement.
In 1927, Dr. Ayers, through ill health was forced to retire from active practice, and has since been travelling to the different parts of the country and enjoying the much needed rest which he so rightly deserves. Although still maintaining Lorimor as his home, he and Mrs. Ayers are at present basking in the sunshine of California, where they expect to spend the winter.
[Transcriber's Note: Dr. Ayers died in 1930, and is buried in the Lorimor, Iowa Cemetery.]
Union Biographies maintained by Kathy Parmenter.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen