Maxwell and Indian Creek Church of the Brethren
IKENBERRY, FOLGER, SLATER, LOOKINGBILL, REED, QUAKENBUSH, BROWER, DUNCKINSON, BUCKLEW, MEYERS, BUCKINGHAM, SMITH, GOODEN, TROUP, FLORA, NEFF, LONCOR
Posted By: Deborah Gilbert (email)
Date: 9/12/2016 at 18:46:20
Maxwell Book: 1883-1983
The Indian Creek Church, Story County, Iowa, was organized in 1856 by Elders Henry Neff of Indiana, and Isaac Neff of Virginia with Henry Flora as minister, and twelve members. Brother Flora was the father of Mrs. Mildred Loncor who is a member of the Maxwell Brethren Church at this time.
Through the active efforts of Brother Flora in seeking out members who had moved from the east into adjoining counties, this congregation gave rise to the Des Moines Valley, Dallas Center, Panther Creek, Coon River, Harlan and Prairie City churches.
In the year 1881, Samuel H. Meyers and Barbara, his wife, sold a plot of land four miles south of Maxwell for $75 to the trustees for the site of their church. The Samuel Meyers were grandparents of Mr. Ray Gooden, who continues to be a member of the Maxwell Brethren Church. Soon after the land was purchased a house of worship was built. The church was in charge of Elder H. H. Troup, assisted in the ministry by A. W. Flora.
In late 1911, according to the 1912 District Minutes, a church was organized in Maxwell; however, according to all the minutes through 1914 only Sunday School reports were given. In about the year 1944 the Maxwell Church of the Brethren began its ministry to the community.
Some of the early ministers of these two churches were as follows: Morris and Will Ikenberry, Rev. Folger, Ed Slater, as well as Carmin Lookingbill, T. U. Reed, Ralph Quakenbush, John Brower, Harold Dunckinson, Laportie Bucklew, Ben Buckingham and Harold Smith.
Story Documents maintained by Mark Christian.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen