Century Farms 1987
KLEIN, LECHTENBERG, NEY
Posted By: Lydia Lucas - Volunteer (email)
Date: 1/21/2017 at 21:32:48
From the Sioux County Capital-Democrat, October 15, 1987, p. 6:
Local Farm Families Join Century Roll
A total of 12 Sioux County farms, eight in this area, have been designated Century Farms by the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship and the Iowa Farm Bureau Federation. Certificates and markers have been given to families who have owned farmland in Iowa for 100 years or more.
Those awarded in our area include:
• Daryle and Carol Brink, Opal Weaver and William and Imo Mulder. The Mulders farm the place near Maurice. The farm has been in the Brink family since 1875.
• Steven Christensen, who farms near Granville. The farm has been in the Christensen family since 1886.
• Gertrude Jahn. Rodney Jahn farms the place near Maurice. The farm has been in the Jahn family since 1887.
• Luella Klein, whose farm near Granville has been in the family since 1883.
• Donley Korver, who farms near Alton. The farm has been in the Korver family since 1885.
• Cleo Lechtenberg, whose farm near Granville has been in the family since 1886.
• Anthony Ney and Evelyn Ney, whose farm near Granville has been in the family since 1887.
• Gerald and Clarice Roder, who farm near Granville. The farm has been in the Roder family since 1876.
The Century Farms Program began in the bicentennial year. Its acceptance and popularity led the state and the Farm Bureau to continue. Since its beginning, 8,786 certificates have been awarded, 326 this year.
[Accompanied by five photos: Imo and William Mulder standing beside their Century Farm plaque; Gerald and Clarice Roder outside their farm home holding their plaque; Gertrude Jahn, Rodney and Nanci Jahn and daughter Emily standing near their barn; Don and Maralyn Korver and sons; Vicki Christensen, Steve Christensen and wife Connie, and their two children.
* * * * * * * * * *
From the Siouxland Press (Orange City), September 23, 1987, p. 15:
Photo of presentation ceremony to the Korver family, with caption: Korver’s Century Farm honored at State Fair.
The farm of Donley J. Korver was honored as a Century Farm at ceremonies held Tuesday, August 25, 1987 at the Iowa State Fair. The award was presented by Secretary of Agriculture, Dale M. Cochran and Darryl Jahn, Iowa Farm Bureau.
* * * * * * * * * *
Farm histories or notices with photos are separately posted for the following farms:
Brink family—Century Farm, 1875-1987 (notice)
Callenius, Otto Franklin—Century Farm, 1880s-1987 (history)
Christensen family—Century Farm, 1886-1987 (notice)
Jahn family—Century Farm, 1887-1987 (notice)
Korver family—Century Farm, 1887-1987 (notice)
Roder family—Century Farm, 1887-1987 (notice)
Wyffels family—Century Farm, abt. 1887-1987 (notice)
Sioux Documents maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen