Bellesfield, Mr. & Mrs. Peter
Posted By: Linda Ziemann, volunteer (email)
Date: 5/13/2017 at 16:14:14
Pictorial Atlas, Bicentennial 1776-1976
Sioux County Iowa (big red book)
The farm now occupied (1976) by Mr. and Mrs. Dick Dirksen was homesteaded by Mr. and Mrs. Peter Bellesfield who came to Sioux County in 1868. They and their 2 sons, David and Samuel, and 2 daughters, Emily and Alice, left Janesville, Wis., by ox team and herded their cattle across the prairies as they came.
Their homestead was just east of the Rock River. They built a log cabin and afterwards a frame house, which was used as an inn, known as the “Bellesfield Halfway House.” Many people traveling across the country stopped here for meals and lodging.
Samuel Bellesfield drove the mail stage from LeMars, Iowa, to Luverne, Minn. and passengers often made the trip on the stage to reach points farther north.
There were no bridges in those days, so David and Samuel built a ferry boat, which they operated for a number of years. When the river was low, there was a place where it could be forded. This was known as Bellesfield Ford.
Sioux Biographies maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen