Sisters of Charity - 1864
Posted By: Cheryl Locher Moonen (email)
Date: 6/7/2016 at 12:34:22
Dubuque Democratic Herald – Dec. 1, 1864
Sisters of Charity – We learn that the Very Rev. Father Donahue, of Dubuque, has purchased the residence of Richard B. Hill, of this city, paying therefore $35,000, for the use of the Sisters, as a permanent educational institute. This is an important accession to our educational interests in this section of the State, and we welcome its permanent establishment in Davenport with much pleasure. We hazard nothing in saying that a finer location for an institution of this kind could not be found in the State. The building is large and commodious, has a commanding view of Rock Island and Davenport, and the river for several miles, surrounded with fine shade trees and shrubbery, and in all respects is most pleasantly situated. The Sisters have been conducting a school here for several years, and are meeting with excellent success; and with their increased facilities, are entitled to, as we have no doubt they will commend, liberal patronage from our citizens and the State at large.
Scott Biographies maintained by Janet L. Rossmiller-Dolan.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen