[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Kerosene Lamp Explosion


Posted By: Marilyn Norris Holmes
Date: 11/2/2023 at 09:25:32

The Signal
Grinnell, Iowa
Sept. 30, 1882

--Through the explosion of a kerosene lamp at the residence of J.W. Gilbert in the south part of the city early Tuesday morning, a large amount of clothing and bedding was burned. Through the aid of neighbors the house was saved.
The Grinnell Herald
Grinnell, Iowa
Sept. 29, 1882

--On Tuesday morning at 4 o'clock a lamp exploded at Mr. Gilbert's in south Grinnell. The burning oil was thrown upon the clothes of the children, which were consumed in spite of all efforts. Don't understand that the children were consumed,--but only the clothes. The children were safe in bed, and were not in the clothes. Mr. Gilbert burned his hand pretty badly. It was lucky enough that nothing worse happened.

Transcriber Note: J.W. Gilbert is my 2xGreat-Grandfather.


Poweshiek Documents maintained by Cindy Booth Maher.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]