[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

McMahon, Theresa 1879-1921

MCMAHON

Posted By: Linda Ziemann, Volunteer (email)
Date: 9/24/2012 at 15:31:07

LeMars Semi-Weekly Sentinel
Friday, February 25, 1921

BURNS PROVE FATAL
MISS THERESA McMAHON SUCCUMBS TO INJURIES
ACCIDENT HAPPENED IN DECEMBER
Nurse was Rekindling Fire in a Stove and Poured Kerosene on Smoldering Ashes
and Her Clothing was Caught by the Flames.

After suffering from severe burns for two months, Miss Theresa McMahon died
at a hospital in Sioux City on Monday.

Miss McMahon was forty years of age and lived at Davenport, Iowa, for many
years before coming to Plymouth County. She was keeping house for a
brother, Frank McMahon, who resides west of Merrill, in December when the
accident occurred.

While pouring kerosene on warm ashes to start up a fire in the stove, her
clothing caught fire. She was severely burned about the chest and face.
She was alone in the house at the time but was able to call for help over
the phone. She was taken to a hospital in Sioux City. Slight hope of her
recovery was entertained since the accident occurred. She is survived by
her brothers, Frank and Will McMahon, residing west of Merrill.

Miss McMahon was a hospital nurse and for the past few years she had been
superintendent of the hospital nurses at the Iowa State University.

When the accident occurred, she was on a visit at her brotherís for rest and
recuperation. She was a native of Dubuque.

Funeral services were held at the Ellendale church on Wednesday morning.


 

Plymouth Obituaries maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]