Spiecker, Frank 1872-1924
SPIECKER, DETLEFS, ROSTERMUNDT, SCHEEL
Posted By: Linda Mohning, volunteer (email)
Date: 5/27/2012 at 06:27:47
Frank Spiecker, a well-known and successful business man of Remsen and the cashier of the German Savings Bank of that place, was born in Benton county, Iowa, on September 1, 1872, the son of Hans and Amalia (Detlefs) Spiecker, who were born in Holstein, Germany, where they were educated and where they grew to manhood and womanhood. They later came to United States and located in Davenport, Iowa, where they were married. They were ninety days on the ocean, having made the ocean voyage on a sailing vessel. After his arrival in Davenport, Hans Spiecker engaged in the drayage business and for some years conducted a dray line in that place. He and his wife later moved to Benton county, Iowa, and there they rented a farm for some years. In 1882, Hans Spiecker purchased three hundred and twenty acres of land in Fredonia township, Plymouth county, at nine dollars an acre. He did not locate on the place until 1883. On his arrival on the place, he at once began the task of development and improvement, the farm in time becoming one of the best in the township, and there Hans Spiecker engaged in general farming and tock-raising until the time of his death in 1908, at the age of sixty-six years. His widow died at the age of seventy-three years, in 1915.
Hans and Amalia Spiecker were active members in the German Evangelical Lutheran church, and were prominent in the social and the religious life of the community. Mr. Spiecker took much interest in the civic life of the township and became one of the prominent and influential men of the district. Hans and Amalia Spiecker were the parents of the following children: Anna, Frank, Theo., Henry, Mary, Kate, Ferdinand and Margaretha. Anna married John H. McLean, of Sioux City. Frank is the subject of this sketch. Theo., is a well-known farmer of Fredonia township. Henry is retired farmer of Remsen. Mary became the wife of Herman Oehlerts, of Fredonia township. Kate is the wife of Martin Dornbusch. Ferdinand is retired at Remsen and Margaretha died in early life.
Frank Spiecker received his education in the common and the high school of Remsen and at the Northwestern Normal School at Le Mars. Upon completing his schooling he was employed by the Farmersí Loan and Trust Company at Remsen. In 1904 the bank was reorganized as the German Savings Bank and since the reorganization Mr. Spiecker has been the cashier of the institution. James T. Toy, of Sioux City, is the president; L. H. Harnack of Remsen, is vice-president, and Frank Spiecker is cashier. The directors of the institution are: M. A. Mieras, Simon Rothlisberger, James F. Toy, L. H. Harnack, Frank Spiecker, Anton Wintz and Joseph Zenk. The bank is one of the strongest institutions of this section of the country, and because of the financial standing of the directors and the officers of the bank, and because of the courtesy and business-like management of the institution by the officers of the place, it has the confidence and the respect of the entire community. The constant aim of this bank organization is to give the people of the district the best service possible, consistent with conservative and good banking. The bank has had a growth that is in all ways in keeping with the growth of the community, and is today recognized as one of the leading banks of the county.
On June 19, 1895, Frank Spiecker was united in marriage to Magdalena Scheel, of Plymouth county, the daughter of Michel and Margaretha (Rostermundt) Scheel, both of whom were born in Germany and there received their education in the public schools and there grew to manhood and womanhood. Mr. and Mrs. Scheel immigrated from Germany in the early days to Benton county, Iowa, where they were married and in the year 1882 they moved to Plymouth county and engaged in general farming until the year 1888, when they retired and moved to Remsen. In the year 1907 they moved to Long Beach, California, where they are now living. There were nine children born to Mr. and Mrs. Scheel, John, Magdalena, Rosa, Emma, Herman, Henry, Gustaf, Adolf and Alma. Magdalena became the wife of Frank Spiecker; Emma, Adolf and Alma are now with their parents at Long Beach, California, and John, Rosa, Herman, Henry and Gustaf died in the year 1886.
To Mr. and Mrs. Frank Spiecker there were born Emory H., Carl V. and Thelma R. Emery H. received his early education in the schools of Remsen and attended one year at Morningside, and is now attending the Iowa State University from which institution he will be graduated from the department of liberal arts in 1918. Carl is at home and attending the high school at Remsen and Thelma is also at home attending public school. Frank Spiecker and wife are active members of the Evangelical Lutheran Christ church at Remsen and are prominent in the social and the religious life of the community, where they are held in the highest regard and esteem. Mr. Spiecker is treasurer of Fredonia school township and has been treasurer of the town of Remsen and also treasurer of the school board, and for many years has been interested in the Farmersí Loan and Trust Company at Sioux City, and has long been and is now one of its directors. He has always been identified with the Republican party and has been active in the local affairs of the township and the town.
Source: The History of Plymouth County, Vol. II, edited by W. S. Freeman, 1917
Plymouth Biographies maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen