[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

ALEXANDER, J. T. 1828-1904


Posted By: Jerry P. Smith
Date: 7/5/2013 at 22:16:33


The community was shocked Monday morning by the very sudden death of J. T. Alexander. While he has not been enjoying the best of health for more than a year past, of late he has apparently been some better. However, while at George visiting his son a couple weeks since he was attacked by a stroke of paralysis, but was able to come home in a day or two and no signs of the stroke had appeared since.

On Monday morning he was feeling as well as usual and while breakfast was being prepared he went out and mowed part of the lawn, when he came to the house and said he was not feeling well. He ate breakfast, however, when he said he had a severe pain in his side, and went to the lounge to lie down.

Mrs. Alexander went to her husband when she noticed that his limbs were cold. She prepared a mustard plaster and placed it on his side, and rubbed his limbs. In a short time he said he felt much better and wanted to sleep, and did apparently go to sleep.

Mrs. Alexander left him and took a chair at the door of the room. His daughter, Miss Dell, had occasion to pass through and thought he was asleep, but in a moment he gasped and on hurrying to his side it was found that he was dead. Death came without a struggle.

Mr. Alexander was born in Indiana on September 21, 1828. His parents moved when he was an infant to Poplar Grove, Illinois, where fifty-four years ago last month he was married to Miss Elizabeth Lewis, a sister of Judge C. H. Lewis of Sioux City, Iowa, and Robt. Lewis of Cherokee. Three children were born to the union, Miss Dell and C. B. now surviving.

He enlisted in the 54th Ill. Vol. Inf. and served four years lacking 20 days in the war of the rebellion, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he moved to Independence, Iowa, where he remained till 1882, when he moved to Rock Rapids where he has lived ever since, except a couple years while he was proving up on a homestead in South Dakota, Mr. Alexander was a good citizen, and a friend of everybody and will be greatly missed.

The funeral was held from the house at 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon. He was a member of the Masonic and I.O.0.F. lodges, who had charge of the funeral.

Mrs. Alexander has been prostrated ever since her husband's death and for a time her condition was considered serious, but she is getting better now. She was unable to accompany the remains to the cemetery. R. A. Lewis, a brother, and his wife of Cherokee and Mrs. Hattie Corbett of Vinton. a sister of Mrs. Alexander attended the funeral. Judge C. H. Lewis was expected but could not come.

June 22, 1904 - Rock Rapids Review


Lyon Obituaries maintained by Cindy Booth Maher.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]