Posted By: Lynn McCleary (email)
Date: 3/25/2017 at 12:32:35
Muscatine Journal & News Tribune, Tuesday January 8, 1929 pg 4
Atalissa Boy Dies in Hospital Few Minutes After His Arrival; Mother Seriously Scalded
Atalissa, Ia., Jan. 8 – Forrest Janes, the 14 year son of Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Janes, living a mile and a half east of Atalissa on the Fred Kaufman farm, died in a hospital at Iowa City about 10:30 o’clock Monday night, within a few minutes after his arrival there. The boy had been ill for the past two weeks of flu-pneumonia and had been treated at home.
His mother had been heating water jugs in the oven of the stove in an effort to keep him warm. Monday evening two jugs were placed in the oven, but other duties claimed the attention of Mrs. Janes, and they had become overheated and as they were removed both jugs exploded. Mrs. Janes was seriously scalded about the face, shoulders, arms and legs by the boiling water, and fragments from the jug pierced her face, cutting a number of deep incisions. Nine stitches were required to close the wounds. This morning Mrs. Janes was suffering considerably, but it is believed she is in no danger.
It was following this accident that it was decided to rush the boy to the hospital. He was given oxygen treatment, but failed to rally.
A younger brother, Keith Janes, was taken to the hospital a week ago, suffering from an attack of flu-pneumonia. He was reported improving this morning.
Muscatine Journal & News Tribune, Thursday January 10, 1929 pg 10
Atalissa, Ia., Jan. 10 - Funeral services for Forest Lemar Janes, the 14-year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Janes, who died in the university hospital at Iowa City a few minutes after he was rushed to that institution, will be conducted Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock in the Musserville Methodist church in Muscatine. The services will be conducted by the Rev. Victor Bloomquist.
He was born in Grandview Jan. 18, 1914, where the family lived until he was five years of age. They then moved to Muscatine, where they made their home until last September, when they moved to a farm near this city. He was taken ill with flu which developed into pneumonia. He was cared for at the home until an explosion of water jugs seriously scalded his mother, making home care impossible. He was rushed to Iowa City, but lived only a short time.
He was a member of the freshman class of the Atalissa high school and is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Janes; two sisters, Garnet and Thora and two brothers Noral and Emory
Louisa Obituaries maintained by Lynn McCleary.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen