Henry Judy (Tschudi)
MOYER, COONEY, BULLARD, WILSON, EMMETT, DUKES, HART, HORTON
Posted By: Maurine Beckstead (email)
Date: 10/16/2002 at 02:28:34
HENRY JUDY is one of the honored pioneers of West Point Township, having crossed the Mississippi at an early period in the history of the Hawkeye State, and while it was yet a Territory, in 1834. During that time he has been an interested witness of the remarkable changes which have taken place along the Mississippe Valley. From the time of his coming here Mr. Judy has identified himself with the interests of this community, and has aided materially in developing the natural resources of this section. He has led an honorable and upright life, and enjoys in a marked degree the confidence and esteem of his fellow-citizens.
Mr. Judy was born in Mongomery County, Ohio, Jan 21, 1817. His father , John Judy was of Pennsylvania birth and American ancestry for several generations. He was born on the 2d of June, 1793, and his birthplace is supposed to have been Center County, Pa. He removed from his native state to Montgomery County when a young man, and was among the early settlers of Ohio. He was there married to Miss Elizabeth MOYER, a native of Rockingham County, VA., of German parentage and ancestry. After marriage they established themselves upon a tract of land in Ohio, in Mongomery County, and pursued the occupation of agriculture during their lifetime. They were most wothy people and highly respected in that section of the state.
Henry Judy was the second of a family of six children born to his parnets. Three of these died in Ohio, and the parents afterward, in the fall of 1825, with the three children remaining, removed from Ohio to Sangamon County, Ill., locating near what afterward became the city of Springfield. At that early period the prairies of Illinois were comparatively uncultivated, and Mr. Judy and his family settled upon a tract of wild land, out of which in due time they improved a farm which became quite valuable, but they finally became desirous of crossing the Father of Waters, and in 1834 Mr. Judy came into Lee County, and purchased a claim of 160 acres on what is now the west end of the city of Fort Madison. He then returned home to Illinois, and in the fall of the year came back to Lee County, accompanied by his son Henry, our subject. They remained there through that winter, and in the spring were joined by the balance of the family. They established themselves comfortably upon the tract of land before mentioned, where they remained for four years, then sold out, coming to West Point Township, and locating themselves upon the present homestead on Section 32. This land was also unimproved, but the male members of the family industriously set themselves to work to cultivate the land and supply it with fences, outhouses, and such improvements as were necessary for their comfort and profit. In due time they received the reward of their labors in the smiling fields around them and the enjoyment of a comfortable home.
Henry Judy remained under the parental roof and passed his early years in attendance at the pioneer schools and assisting in the labors of the farm. He was married, Jan 8, 1843 in West Point Township to Miss Rebecca D. COONEY, a young maiden of fourteen years. Mrs. Judy was a native of Indiana, and the daughter of Dr. Mathew COONEY, who came to Iowa and settled in West Point Township. Mrs. Rebecca Judy became the mother of four children, and departed life Sept. 6, 1850. Of her children, Mathew J. died in infancy; Mary became the wife of Henry HORTON, who resides in West Point; Emily married James BULLARD Jr., and died in 1886; Henry H. married Ann WILSON, and is a farmer on Section 33, West Point Township.
The second wife of Henry Judy was Elizabeth EMMETT, to whom he was married July 5, 1851. She is a native of Henry County, Ind., and was born Aug. 6, 1833. her father was a distant relative of the famous Irish orator and patriot, Robert Emmett, who was executed during the troubles of his time. The grandfather of Mrs. Judy was a native of Ireland, who emigrated to this country at an early period in its history, and settled near Cincinnati, Ohio. The maiden name of the mother of Mrs. J. was Nancy DUKES, who came from a prominent Southern family, who removed to Indiana, where she was married to George Emmett, and with her husband came to Iowa in 1839, and settled in West Point Township. Here they passed the remainder of their lives and folded their hands for final rest.
Of the second marriage of our subject have been born ten children, five of whom are living. The record is as follows; George W. married Lucinda Ann HART, and they reside in Jefferson Township, near Viele, upon a farm; John was married and became the father of four children, and now resides on the old homestead; Martha E. is at home; William S. is attending school at Denmark Academy, and James G. is assisting in the management of the farm, Mr. and Mrs. J. have occupied their present homestead continuously since their marriage. Mr. J. has been fairly successful in his farming and other enterprises, and is the owner of 290 acres of land, about half of which is under cultivation. In 1856, in company with his brother, George, he erected a sawmill in the vicinity, which has been in operation most of the time since and yields a fair income. Politically Mr. J. is a solid Republican, and religiously is connected to the Baptist Church. He is highly esteemed by his fellow townsmen, and considered one of the important factors of a first-class community.
Lee Biographies maintained by Sherri Turner.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen