Hugh Campbell 1858-1950
CAMPBELL, LAYTON, KEARNEY, MOORE, BILLINGS
Posted By: Sharon Elijah (email)
Date: 1/28/2022 at 07:12:34
20 April 1950 - The Anamosa Journal
WYOMING - Funeral services for Hugh Campbell, 92, who died Thursday at a nursing home in Maquoketa, was held Saturday afternoon from Presbyterian church. Rev. F. E. Somerville, Methodist pastor, was in charge assisted by Rev. Potter, Chicago, nephew of the deceased.
Hugh Campbell, second son of William and Elizabeth Cathcart Campbell, was born Jan. 16, 1858 at Prairie Creek, near Cascade. Later he moved with his family to the farm home near Farley. He attended country school and Epworth seminary, Epworth. For a time he lived on the home farm.
In 1903 he went into the implement and harness business in Preston and in 1907 moved to Monticello to conduct an implement business. In 1910 he took up a homestead in South Dakota but in a few years came to Wyoming, where he again entered into the farm implement and harness business.
On Oct. 8, 1914, he was married to Miss Florence Campbell, Monticello. Both were active in the church and social activities of the community. Mrs. Campbell died on May 18, 1929. His niece and husband, Mr. and Mrs. F. A. Layton, then moved to Wyoming and for a time helped to make a home for him. He continued to make Wyoming his home until Dec. 1946, he entered the Gilmore nursing home, Maquoketa, because of ill health.
He was a member of the Presbyterian church, Wyoming, where he served both as an elder and a trustee. He also served as a member of the town council.
Survivors are three sisters Mrs. J. S. Kearney and Mrs. E. E. Moore, Janesville, Wis. and Mrs. B. B. Billings, Hot Springs, Ark. also 10 nieces and four nephews.
Jones Obituaries maintained by Lynn Diemer-Mathews.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen