[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

DIEKEN, John W. 1902-1935


Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 4/4/2017 at 17:47:08

John W. Dieken Dies From Injuries In Motorcycle Crash

Was Member of Dallas Police Force and Was Answering Call to a Fire When Car Made Wrong Turn Ahead of Him

John W. Dieken, second oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. John Dieken of Grundy Center, died in a hospital in Dallas, Texas, at 4:25 Saturday afternoon as the result of an accident when his motorcycle which he used on police duty crashed into a car making a wrong turn in that city. The accident happened about 5 o'clock Friday afternoon. John, who had been a member of the Dallas police force during the past fourteen months, with other officers was answering a fire call. He with a brother officer who was ahead of him were sounding their fire horns on their way to the fire. A woman driving a car made a sudden forbidden 'U' turn ahead of Officer Dieken and his motorcycle going at 35 miles an hour crashed into the car. The gas tank of the motorcycle exploded and it set fire to the officers clothing. The fire was speedily extinguished and it only singed the body. Internal injuries received in the crash proved fatal. Officer Dieken was rushed to the hospital. He never regained consciousness and died 24 hours later.

Relatives Here Notified
Relatives in Grundy Center were notified shortly after the accident. On Saturday Heye and Arthur Dieken, the two brothers, left here in a car for Dallas. They covered the distance 900 miles in 22 hours. They learned while enroute that their brother had passed away. The two brothers arranged to have the body sent to the home in Grundy Center. The body arrived here by train Tuesday morning. Heye and Arthur returned in their car Monday night, covering the long distance home in the same time that it took them to go down.

Brother Officers Escort Body
Two brother officers of the Dallas police force, H. C. Leach and Jack C. Dorris, accompanied the body on its long trip to Grundy Center. The officers served as honorary pallbearers at the funeral and stood guard at the home and served as motorcycle escorts in the funeral procession to the cemetery.

Funeral Services Tuesday Afternoon
Funeral services conducted by Dr. K. J. Stratemeier were held at the German Presbyterian church in Grundy Center Tuesday afternoon. Mrs. Wm. Kruse rendered a number of beautiful and comforting selections. The large funeral procession exceeded by far the space available in the church. The pastor brought words of comfort and instruction, basing his remarks on Isaiah 55:8-9. Burial was in the cemetery in the Colfax Presbyterian church.

John Dieken was the second oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. John Dieken of Grundy Center. He was born on the Dieken farm in Lincoln township February 26, 1902. He attended country school in Lincoln township and later the consolidated school at Dike from which he was graduated in 1922. Following his graduation from high school he took an interest in aviation and for two years he attended government aviation schools at Scott and Chanute Fields. Because of a slight defect in his eyesight he was retired from the aviation service and given his honorable discharge. After returning home he clerked for a time in the Schlue clothing store in Grundy Center.

Spends Four Years With Marines
In 1930 John Dieken again returned to the service of Uncle Sam by enlisting for a period of four years in the U.S. Marines. He was in all parts of the world during the term of his enlistment. He served in Chinese waters for more than a year. He did his job well and was rewarded with frequent promotions. He retired from the service at the close of his 4-year enlistment and received his honorable discharge.

Joins Police Force in Dallas
Shortly after his retirement from the Marines he was given a place on the motorcycle police force in Dallas, Texas, and it was while he was discharging his duties in this capacity that he met with the accident that cost him his life. John's service and training in the navy made him a model police officer and good reports came from his year's service in his new job.

Married a Year Ago
John Dieken and Miss Margaret Smith of Dallas were married at Dallas on August 17 of last year. Announcement of their wedding was made only a few months ago. On August 7, two days before the death of the young father, a son was born to the young couple. The son was named John Willis. The mother and baby are in a hospital in Dallas.

--The Grundy Register (Grundy Center, Iowa), 15 August 1935, pg 1, 12


Grundy Obituaries maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]