STORJOHANN, Elmer 1900-1933
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 9/13/2015 at 07:43:07
Elmer Storjohann Suicides By Turning On Gas
Was Found Dead in Kitchen At His Home in Waterloo Monday Evening
Elmer Storjohann, who was born and raised at Reinbeck, committed suicide in the kitchen at his home in Waterloo Monday evening from gas suffocation. He closed the doors and windows of the room and turned on the gas from the kitchen range.
The body was discovered about six o'clock by members of the family after they returned home. City firemen were called at once and they applied artificial respiration, but they could not revive the spark of life. It was believed that he was dead but a short time when he was found.
The dead man left no message explaining the cause of the suicide and members of the family could give no explanation.
Mr. Storjohann was a salesman for the Hutchinson Ice Cream Company and was out on one of his regular trips on Monday. He made weekly calls on the ice cream trade in the towns of Grundy county. He was 32 years old. He had been making his home in Waterloo during the past seven years.
The body was brought to Reinbeck Tuesday by Grundy County Coroner L. D. Coffman.
Funeral services were held at the Gange mortuary at Reinbeck Wednesday afternoon. Burial was in the Reinbeck cemetery.
Mr. Storjohann was born in Reinbeck October 23, 1900. He was married to Miss Mary Cummings at Reinbeck Sept. 15, 1920.
Surviving relatives are the wife and one son Wendell, 11 years old, his father, Deitrick Storjohann, of Reinbeck; two brothers, Peter from Reinbeck and Roy from Grundy Center; three sisters, Mrs. William Runft, Cedar Falls, Mrs. George Meewes, Reinbeck, and Mrs. Harold Burkett, Perry, Iowa.
--The Grundy Register (Grundy Center, Iowa), 15 June 1933, pg 1
Grundy Obituaries maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen