[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

HANCOCK, Jeane 1930-1932


Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 9/4/2015 at 22:55:50

Hancock Child Dies From Severe Burns

Funeral services were held at Marshalltown Thursday for Jeane Hancock, the two-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Marion Hancock from Marshalltown and formerly from Conrad. The child was at the home of a neighbor where they were boiling a kettle of roofing tar and it is not certain whether the fire started from some of the tar boiling over into the gasoline stove or whether the stove itself exploded. Mr. Mull, at whose home the accident took place, was unable to touch the blazing kettle so he attempted to carry it from the house with a broomstick. In his haste, he accidently tripped and threw the contents all over the child, who was on the back porch at the time of the accident.

She was immediately rushed to the hospital where she lived only about one and one-half hours. Her entire body had been covered with the tar.

Mr. and Mrs. Mull attempted to fight the flames and both were seriously burned around the arms and legs. Mr. Hancock received severe burns on his hands. Mrs. Hancock was not burned at the time of the accident but was burned slightly while holding the little child on the way to the hospital.

--The Grundy Register (Grundy Center, Iowa), 19 May 1932, pg 4


Grundy Obituaries maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]