[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

WILTS, Otto 1853-1926


Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 2/1/2015 at 09:19:14

Otto Wilts Died Yesterday

Otto Wilts died at his home in Wellsburg at an early hour Wednesday morning. Mr. Wilts had for many years been a sufferer from asthma. He was taken sick with influenza about ten days ago. He was unable to fight off the malady and he continued to get weaker until the end came. Funeral service will be held Saturday. Mr. Wilts' obituary will be published in the next issue of The Register.

--The Grundy Register (Grundy Center, Iowa), 8 April 1926, pg 3


Otto Wilts Funeral Saturday

The funeral services for the late Otto Wilts, who died at his home in Wellsburg on April 7th, was held last Saturday afternoon. The services were at the Reformed church with Rev. Landsiedel as the officiating pastor. The pastor's text was from Luke 24.29.32. The sermon was delivered in both the German and the English language. Owing to the wide acquaintance of the deceased and to the high regard in which he was held by the people of this community, the large church was completely filled during the service.

Otto Wilts was born May 21, 1853, at Sweriensdorf, Ostfr., Germany. In his early youth, when only 10 years of age, he came with his parents to America, where they took up their abode first in Freeport, Ill. A few years later they moved to Iowa, making their home on the farm in Hardin county, 1 1/2 miles west of Wellsburg.

Amid the Christian influence and environment under the parental roof he grew to manhood and joined in matrimony with Antje Harms March 1, 1878. Death however soon marred this happy union which was blessed with one child, and according to the providence of God his companion was taken from his side Feb. 12, 1878.

Four years later, the Lord granted him another faithful helpmate, Fentja Harms, a sister of the deceased's first wife, with whom he was joined in holy wedlock Feb. 15, 1883. 43 years they shared life's joy and sorrow together. This union the Lord blessed with 6 children, 4 sons and 2 daughters, of whom one son was robbed from their side by the cruel hand of the late world war, preceding the father in death since 1918.

Fourteen years ago, when the health of the deceased required rest, they moved to Wellsburg in 1912 with the purpose to spend the eve of their life in peace and comfort.

About seven years ago he recovered from a severe illness. For the past year his health was partially impaired and three weeks ago he commenced to get weaker, so that it became necessary to engage medical assistance. No one surmised at that time that this was an indication of the approach of that inevitable and dark hour. Two Sundays ago he went to the house of worship for the last time which during days of good health he never once failed to attend.

Last Monday his condition grew worse, so that the deceased himself doubted his recovery. With a fervent desire he looked forward that the Lord might grant him the joy in partaking communion on Easter Sunday, and thus once more confess his Savior's death, but his weakened condition would not permit him to realize this joy.

It was last Monday morning when the Lord made his heart yearn for communion while resting on his sick bed and when heart and mouth joined together in rejoicing: I am a wretched sinner but by the grace of God I am that I am.

What a comfort for the mourners! Since, Dec. 1916, when becoming a member of this church he proved himself to be loyal and faithful. To his pastor the deceased was more than a true friend and brother, yea a secret support never to be replaced, so necessary in times when the office of a pastor is burdened with strife and obstacles of disharmony. Therefore he feels with the sorrowing family the keen loss which has been inflected upon them, but knowing also that this departure is only for a short period, promising in the future the happy meeting on yonder shore with Christ, who is the resurrection and the life never to be parted again.

God Almighty, who is the author and dispenser of life and death in His great wisdom has thus ruled and broken down his earthly house. Last Wednesday, Apr. 7, he peacefully fell asleep at 8:45 a.m. to awake in the great beyond, where there is grieving no more, nor sorrow, nor parting, nor death. He reached the age of 72 years, 10 months and 16 days.

Beside the sorrow-stricken mother he leaves to mourn his death 6 children, 3 sons and 3 daughters: also 13 grandchildren. May the Lord comfort all sorrowing hearts over the untimely loss of the beloved husband and father, and impress upon them the words: Precious is the death of the saints in Thine eyes.

The surviving children are Mrs. Henry Jaspers, John Wilts, Mrs. Julius Heikens, Jr., Gretus Wilts, Mrs. Cornie Kuper and Odie Wilts.

The pall bearers were A. G. Geerdes, Heye Geerdes, Menno Bunger, Tilko Bunger, Wm. E. Knock and John Van Loh.

--The Grundy Register (Grundy Center, Iowa), 15 April 1926, pg 9


Grundy Obituaries maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]