John J. Schultz
SCHULTZ, CARSON, BUSS
Posted By: Katie A. Dahl (email)
Date: 3/29/2004 at 14:48:58
JOHN J. SCHULTZ. Grundy County, like other portions of the United States, is indebted largely to citizens of foreign birth for the development of her agricultural resources, for the promotion of the cause of education, for other movements for the public weal, and for examples of good citizenship. The German Empire has sent forth many sons who have held prominent and honorable places. Among the number is the subject of this biographical notice, who occupies a valuable estate of five hundred and eighty-six acres, located on section 9, in Pleasant Valley Township.
William and Louisa (Carson) Schultz, parents of our subject, were natives of Germany, where they were well-to-do farmers. They reared a family of eight children, of whom John J., Frank A., Emma, Ella, Tillie, Charlie and William are living. The parents came to this country in 1854, and made their first home in Ogle County, Ill., where they lived on rented property for several years. Finally Mr. Schultz purchased an eighty-acre farm in Carroll County, Ill., which he later sold out to good advantage, and in 1867 came to Pleasant Valley Township, this county, and became the proprietor of an estate comprising three hundred and twenty acres. He was very successful in his operations as an agriculturist, and in 1883 moved into the city of Ackley, in this state, where he is now living with his wife, retired from active work of any kind. Mrs. Schultz is a working member of the Evangelical Church, and is a most estimable lady. She aided her husband very materially in accumulating his handsome property.
Our subject was only four years of age when he was brought to America by his parents, and continued to remain under the parental roof until reaching his majority when he began to earn his own living. He had been given a fair education. Upon leaving home he purchased eighty acres of land in German Township, this county, which he afterward sold, and in 1873 came to this township. Here his first purchase included one hundred and thirty-two acres, which form a portion of his present valuable estate, and where he is prosperously pursuing his chosen vocation.
The lady to whom Mr. Schultz was married in November, 1874, was Miss Henrietta, daughter of Michael and Caroline Buss. Like her husband, she was born in Germany, and was eight years of age when her parents emigrated to this country. The Buss family lived for many years in the city of Milwaukee, Wis., where Miss Henrietta was given a good education in the public schools. By her union with our subject she has become the mother of five children, namely: William W., Nettie L., Stella L., John J. and Grover C. They have all been given fine educations, William and Nettie attending the Ackley Academy.
The sterling qualities of Mr. Schultz are recognized by all who know him, and his genial manners prepossess strangers in his favor. Although devoting his time mostly to private duties, not caring much for public life, he has yet served successfully as Trustee of his township, and was a Supervisor at the time of building the courthouse at Grundy Centre. He has also been Justice of the Peace. He did his duty in whatever position he occupied, regardless of the consequences to himself. He votes with the Democratic party. In him the Evangelical Church finds one of its most sincere and upright members.
Portrait and Biographical Record
of Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, Iowa
Grundy Biographies maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen