George A. Moore
MOORE, MILLER, SHELLER, STRICKLER
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 11/15/2011 at 23:10:55
GEORGE A. MOORE, who owns and operates a farm on the southwest quarter of section 9, Melrose Township, Grundy County, is one of the worthy citizens that Franklin County, Pa., has furnished to this community. He was there born, January 11, 1840, and is a son of William Moore, who was born and reared in Franklin County, where he wedded Mary M. Miller, daughter of Jacob Miller, a native of Switzerland. William Moore was a blacksmith by trade, but after his emigration to Carroll County, Ill., in 1847, he purchased land and engaged in farming. He became the owner of three hundred acres, which he transformed into a highly cultivated tract, making his home thereon until 1871. That year witnessed his removal to Marshall County, Iowa, where his last days were spent. He was called to his final rest October 18, 1880. In politics he was a Democrat. He was quite successful in business, and although he began life empty-handed, he became well-to-do.
Our subject is one of nine children, of whom six reached years of maturity, while five are still living. He was principally reared in Carroll County, Ill., and its common schools afforded him his educational privileges. On the 30th of August, 1864, he enlisted in the service of his country, as a member of Company A, One Hundred and Forty-sixth Illinois Infantry. He continued in the service until after the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged July 8, 1865. He then returned to his Illinois home, but the following winter came to Grundy County.
On the 6th of November, 1864, Mr. Moore was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Sheller, a native of Franklin County, Pa., and a daughter of Daniel Sheller. Their union has been blessed with five children, three of whom are still living, namely: Katie E., wife of J. F. Strickler, who occupies the homestead farm; Flora L. and Eunice E. Harry died at the age of four years, and Mary Ann at the age of sixteen months.
Mr. Moore takes no active part in politics and votes independently of party ties. He and his family are all members of the German Baptist Church of Melrose Township, in which he is serving as Deacon and Trustee. He takes an active part in church and benevolent work, and is doing all in his power for the promotion of good in this locality. His business interests have always been in the line of agriculture. When he purchased his farm there was not an improvement upon it. The first season he broke forty-five acres of land, and the following spring he built a house. His farm now comprises a tract of four hundred acres, all of which is under a high state of cultivation. Much of it he now rents. He also engages in stock-raising and keeps a good grade of horses and cattle. In his business dealings he is ever straightforward and honorable, and has thereby gained the confidence and good will of all with whom he has been brought in contact. As the result of his arduous labors he has acquired a handsome property, and is now numbered among the substantial citizens of the community. A useful and well spent life justly entitles him to representation in the history of the county, where he has now made his home for more than one-fourth of a century.
Portrait and Biographical Record
of Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, Iowa
Grundy Biographies maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen