Leonard J. Morrison
MORRISON, HOXIE, NEWELL
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 11/13/2011 at 10:59:53
LEONARD J. MORRISON owns and operates two hundred and twelve acres of land on sections 1 and 2, Palermo Township, where he is engaged in general farming and stock-raising. His life has been a busy one, and the result of his labors is seen in his present possessions. He takes a just pride in having one of the best cultivated farms in the neighborhood. He raises fine grades of stock, and has taken various premiums on the same at the county fairs. The improvements upon his place are all that are found on a model farm, and stand as monuments to his enterprise.
Mr. Morrison was born in Fayette County, Pa., July 24, 1849, and is a son of Guy and Mary Morrison. He was reared upon his father's farm in his native county, and was educated in the common schools. Having arrived at years of maturity, he was married, February 7, 1874, in Grundy County, Iowa, to Eva A., daughter of Thomas G. Hoxie. Her father was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., July 31, 1816, and there wedded Maria Newell. He followed farming in New York until his emigration to Iowa in 1853. Here he entered two hundred acres of Government land on sections 1 and 2, Palermo Township, where our subject now resides. His nearest neighbor was fifteen miles distant. Mr. Hoxie built a log cabin, and at once began clearing his land. Their nearest trading post was at Independence, and they had to go to Waterloo, thirty miles away, for their mail. Mr. Hoxie continued to make his home in this county until his death, which occurred April 1, 1892. He was the third settler in the county, and therefore deserves mention among its honored pioneers. His family numbered three children: Hulen, Ellen and Eva.
Mr. Hoxie aided in the organization of the county, and was elected its first Sheriff, holding that position for six consecutive years. He was also Justice of the Peace for many years, and for a long time was Supervisor of the county, and in all his public duties he was so prompt and faithful that he won the highest commendation of all concerned. He held membership with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was one of the most prominent and influential citizens of the county. His death was deeply mourned throughout the community. When he passed away he was the oldest living settler of Grundy County. His wife was called to her final rest on the 4th of October, 1867.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Morrison have been born four children: Floy H., Albert G., Robert L. and Guy M. The mother is a native of this county; she was born September 1, 1858, and her entire life has been passed in the home where she now lives. Both Mr. and Mrs. Morrison are faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are numbered among the best citizens of the county. He came to Grundy County October 20, 1871, and purchasing land in Washington Township, there engaged in farming for three years, after which he removed to his present farm. In politics he is a supporter of the Republican party, but has never been an office-seeker, preferring to devote his entire time and attention to his business interests.
Portrait and Biographical Record
of Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, Iowa
Grundy Biographies maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen