E. A. Ford
FORD, HAZLETTE, ERB, PETTINGILL, ROBSON
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 11/11/2011 at 23:34:27
E. A. FORD is the proprietor of a finely appointed photograph gallery in Grundy Centre, where he has carried on business since 1883. In that year he bought the gallery of Frank Hazlette, the successor of John Erb, who was the first photographer of Grundy Centre, and erected the building in which Mr. Ford is now located. Our subject receives from the public a liberal patronage, for he does only first-class work, and therefore can command a good trade.
A native of Knowlesville, Orleans County, N. Y., Mr. Ford was born, March 4, 1835, and is a son of Merry Ford. The father was a native of Montgomery County, whence he removed to Orleans County, where he followed the trade of a carpenter and joiner, there making his home until 1844. In that year he emigrated to Dodge County, Wis., becoming one of its pioneer settlers. Purchasing land of the Government, he cleared and improved a farm, upon which he made his home until 1865, when he removed to Fox Lake. There he worked at his trade until coming to Iowa in 1875, from which time he lived retired. He was called to the home beyond in February, 1885. He was a prominent member of the Baptist Church, and his honorable, upright life was well worthy of emulation.
E. A. Ford spent his first ten years in the Empire State, and then accompanied his parents on their removal to Wisconsin. He grew to manhood in Dodge County, and was educated in the public schools and in an academy in Fox Lake. On attaining his majority, he started out in life for himself, working the home farm for about five years, when he went to Waupun, where he served as guard at the state prison for three and a-half years. The year 1868 witnessed his arrival in Grundy County, and saw him located on section 12, Washington Township, upon a farm adjoining Grundy Centre; this he improved, and continued its cultivation for four years, when he embarked in the hotel business. For two and a-half years he was proprietor of the Eagle House, after which he again spent two years on the farm. In 1880 he learned the art of photography. When he had mastered the business he purchased a photographer’s car and went to Mitchellville, where he remained nine months. Subsequently he spent two and a-half years in Franklin, Hampton County, and in 1883 bought the business in Grundy Centre, as before stated.
In November, 1859, Mr. Ford was married to Miss Carrie, daughter of John Pettingill, who followed farming in New York, and died in Monroe County, that state. Mrs. Ford was born in New York, and at the age of seventeen removed to Wayne County, Mich., where she was living at the time of her marriage. They have two children: Charles B., of Grundy Centre, and Ida, wife of Walter T. Robson, a farmer living four miles west of this place.
Mr. Ford is a member of the Odd Fellows’ society. On its organization he joined the lodge at this place, and has filled all of its chairs. He exercises his right of franchise in support of the Republican party. In religious belief he is a Baptist, and is serving as Trustee of the church. Mr. Ford has led a busy and useful life, and is a self-made man, who through his own efforts has achieved success.
Portrait and Biographical Record
of Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, Iowa
Grundy Biographies maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen