L. B. and G. W. DeSeelhorst
DESEELHORST, BEACH, CURKEET, CRARY, BRASTED, FENTON
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 11/11/2011 at 09:27:26
L. B. and G. W. DeSEELHORST reside on section 7, Palermo Township, Grundy County, where they own three hundred and twenty acres of good land, all under a high state of cultivation and well improved. Their father, J. K. DeSeelhorst, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., was there reared, and in October, 1842, was married to Miss Susan Beach. In the same year they went to Wisconsin, and became early settlers of LaFayette County, where the father purchased land and engaged in farming. The tract of which he became the possessor was a wild and unbroken one, but he improved it and made of it a good homestead of one hundred and sixty acres. Our subjectís father crossed the plains with a wagon train to California in 1849, and spent eighteen months in the gold mines, when he returned and resumed farming. In 1872 he left Wisconsin and came to Grundy County. For a year and a-half he lived in Melrose Township, and then removed to Eldora, Hardin County, Iowa, where he made his home until his death, which occurred in December, 1876. His widow still survives him and is living in Grundy Centre.
Eight children were born unto them, of whom six grew to manhood and womanhood. Those living are C. F., a business man of Grundy Centre; L. B. and G. W., well known farmers of this community; Mary, wife of R. H. Curkeet, a retired farmer, residing in Eldora; Mattie, wife of J. M. Crary, who holds a responsible position in a wholesale house in Sioux City, Iowa; and Carrie, who is living in Grundy Centre. The father of this family was a member of the Congregational Church, and was a very successful farmer.
G. W. DeSeelhorst was born in LaFayette County, Wis., on the 20th of June, 1852. He acquired his education in the public schools and in the State Normal School, and remained with his father until he had attained his majority. In the year 1872, he came to Grundy County, and located in Melrose Township. When he had arrived at manís estate he formed a partnership with his brother, L. B., in the spring of 1874, and they purchased their present farm in 1881. On January 31, 1884, G. W. married Miss Millie E., daughter of J. F. Brasted, a prominent farmer of Essex County, N. Y. They have one child, Vera May.
L. B. DeSeelhorst, the senior member of the firm, was born in Elk Grove, LaFayette County, Wis., December 8, 1849, and remained on the old homestead during his youth. He was educated in the district schools and in the State Normal School in Plattville, Wis. In 1869, he came to this county and broke land upon the farm where he now lives. His father had bought the tract the year previous. Our subject then returned to Wisconsin, but the following year he again came to this place, and with his brother located in Melrose Township, where he lived until the spring of 1877. He followed teaching for six terms in the schools of this county, meeting with good success in this line of work. When the brothers took possession of the farm it was in its primitive condition, not a furrow having been turned or a rod of fence built. They have made all of the improvements upon it, and through their efforts it has become one of the fine farms of the community.
On October 31, 1878, was celebrated the marriage of L. B. DeSeelhorst and Miss Nellie Fenton. Her father, Elias J. Fenton, is a leading farmer and stock-raiser of Eldora Township, Hardin County, is also one of the early settlers of that part of the state, whither he removed from Janesville, Wis., about 1873. He was a native of New York, and his daughter was born in the Badger State. By her marriage she became the mother of three children: Edna M., Harry F. and Florence E.
The cause of education finds in L. B. DeSeelhorst a warm friend. He has served as Secretary of the School Board of his township for fourteen years, has been Trustee of the township for six years, and is the present nominee for that office. For two years he has been President of the Agricultural Society, and he also holds membership with Grundy Centre Lodge No. 285, I. O. O. F., of which he has been a Noble Grand. Both brothers are supporters of the Republican party and its principles and are men of good business ability, straightforward in their dealings. Through enterprise and well directed efforts, they have achieved a success which ranks them among the substantial citizens of the community. They take an active interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of town and county, and in the history of this community they certainly deserve representation.
Portrait and Biographical Record
of Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, Iowa
Grundy Biographies maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen