[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

John L. Byrnes

BYRNES, LLOYD, JOHNSON

Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 11/10/2011 at 14:39:35

John L. BYRNES, who devotes his time and attention to agricultural pursuits, operating one hundred and twenty-five acres of land on section 3, Washington Township, Grundy County, was born in Stephenson County, Ill., in 1856, and is of Irish lineage. His father, Patrick Byrnes, was born near Wexford, Ireland, and was reared upon a farm. His parents were people of limited means and lived on rented land. His father died when he was a small child, leaving two children, himself and a sister. When Patrick was eight year of age he began to earn his own livelihood. He continued on the Emerald Isle until he had acquired a sufficient sum to enable him to emigrate to America. This he did in 1852, locating in Chicago, where he engaged in railroad work, continuing his labors along that line for a few years. He then located in Stephenson County, Ill. He was industrious and economical, and with the money which he saved from his wages he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of prairie land and twenty-eight acres of timber land. From that time until he retired from business life he continued farming. In Illinois he wedded Miss Deborah, daughter of John Lloyd. She was born in Canada, as were her parents, who were of Welsh descent. Mr. and Mrs. Byrnes became the parents of four children: John L., of this sketch; Emma; Frank, who married Minnie Johnson, and Grant. The parents are yet living, in Stephenson County, Ill., and are consistent and faithful members of the United Brethren Church, in which the father holds office. In politics he has always been a stalwart Democrat.

The early education of our subject, which was acquired in the district schools, was supplemented by study in the high school of Savannah, Ill. At the age of twenty-two, he started out for himself, and as a companion on lifeís journey he chose Miss Emily Lloyd, daughter of Garrett and Arilla Lloyd. Immediately after their marriage the young couple came to Iowa, and at once located in Grundy County. For a year, Mr. Byrnes engaged in the operation of a rented farm of eighty-six acres. He then bought the tract and has made of it the fine farm which he to-day owns. He has placed good buildings upon it and improved it with all the accessories and conveniences of a model farm.

The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Byrnes has been blessed with five children: Ella M., Frank L., Wilbur G., Jennie L. and Leslie C. The parents are held in the highest regard by all who know them, and they have a large circle of warm friends in the community. They are both worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Morrison, are earnest workers in the Masterís vineyard, and their lives are replete with deeds of kindness and benevolence. They contribute liberally to the support of the church, and Mr. Byrnes is now serving as one of its Trustees and as Recording Steward. In his political views, he is very liberal, supporting the man whom he thinks best qualified for the office, regardless of party affiliations. It is the best men of the county who make up its history, and to whom its prosperity and advancement are due, and among these is numbered the gentleman whose name heads this record.

Source:
Portrait and Biographical Record
of Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, Iowa
1894


 

Grundy Biographies maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]