E. H. Allison
ALLISON, MASON, KETNER
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 11/9/2011 at 16:16:28
E. H. ALLISON, who is one of the representative citizens of Grundy Centre, occupies the position of Clerk of the District County, and through his faithful discharge of duty he has won the high commendation of all concerned. He is a native of the Keystone State, his birth having occurred near Franklin, Pa., July 5, 1849. His father, James Allison, was born in the same town, and was a son of Samuel Allison. The family was one of the first to locate in that community. The father there grew to manhood and married Mary Mason, daughter of James Mason, who was the first male child born in Franklin. Mr. Allison served as Treasurer of Venango County and there made his home until his death, in 1875. His wife survived him until April, 1893, and passed away in Jones County, Iowa. They were both devoted members of the Methodist Church and were held in the highest regard by all who knew them.
In the county of his nativity our subject spent the days of his boyhood and was reared under the parental roof. The common schools of Franklin afforded him his education, and at the age of eighteen years he began clerking, which employment occupied his energies for two years. He then attended a commercial college of Pittsburgh, after which he became clerk in the prothonotary office in Franklin, Pa. He continued in that office for more than four years and then turned his attention to teaching school. The year 1876 witnessed his emigration westward, and he located in Washington Township upon a tract of two hundred and forty acres, which his father had purchased in 1868. Not a furrow had been turned nor any improvement made upon the place, which was still in its primitive condition, but with characteristic energy he began its development. He plowed and planted the land, and in connection with his brother, G. C. Allison, improved a fine farm. There he successfully carried on farming and stock-raising, making a specialty of breeding fine draft horses. His farm comprises two hundred and eighty acres of valuable land on sections 29 and 30, Washington Township, and yields to him a good income. He continued its cultivation until 1888, when he was elected Clerk of the District Court and removed to Grundy Centre.
In 1880, near Meadville, Pa., was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Allison and Miss Helen E., daughter of David Ketner. One child graces their union, Earl. The young couple are well and favorably known in this community and have a large circle of friends.
Mr. Allison followed in the political footsteps of his father and has always been a stalwart Republican. He is now serving his third term in the office of Clerk of the District Court. His term will not expire until January, 1895, when he will have filled the position for six consecutive years. His re-election shows that he has the confidence of his constituents and that their trust in him has never been betrayed. For nine years he has served as School Treasurer and Trustee of Washington Township. He is a member of the Republican Central Committee and serves in the position of Secretary. Mr. Allison is a Royal Arch Mason, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. An honorable and upright life has won him the high regard of all with whom he has been brought in contact.
Portrait and Biographical Record
of Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, Iowa
Grundy Biographies maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen