[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Henry Clay Coon, 1842-1928


Posted By: Emmet County IAGenWeb Coordinator (email)
Date: 1/28/2009 at 07:45:29


Was Identified with Development of Town From Early Day -- Was Mayor

With the passing of Henry Clay Coon early Friday morning [28 Dec 1928] but two members of the local G. A. R. post survive. Mr. Coon in spite of his eighty six years was actively looking after his many business interests until the first of the month. His health since fall had been somewhat impaired by a slight stroke of paralysis but it was not until the last few weeks that he began to decline rapidly from heart disease and diabetes.

Since 1866 he had been a resident of Estherville. He was born in Allegheny county, New York, September 11, 1842, the last surviving member of a family of seven children born to James and Sarah Coon. In 1845 his people moved to Wisconsin where they engaged in farming for 20 years. Here he grew to manhood and acquired his schooling. On July 4 1862, he married Miss Elmira Lingenfelter and moved to Minnesota the same year. Soon after this he joined the First Minnesota Infantry, Company I, and continued in service until the end of the Civil war. At its close he moved to this county with his family making the trip in an immigrant wagon drawn by oxen. During this period he was sick and much of the time confined to the hospital. He farmed a piece of ground now within the city limits of Estherville making his home for a time in the old Fort Defiance which had been built here for the Northern Brigade during Indian troubles. As the town developed he built the Lincoln House on the corner of Sixth and Lincoln street, where the former First Trust and Savings bank building stands. This was later moved to the southwest corner of the block and a three story building constructed on its site. This was destroyed by fire in 1906 and the present block built as well as the brick block just south of it known as the Coon block and the Armory building which he owned at the time of his death. He also built and owned several residence houses.

For two terms Mr. Coon served as mayor of the City of Estherville. He was one of the charter members of the Methodist church in this city and maintained an active interest in its progress and development. He was an officer in the church for many years. He was one of the men instrumental in the organization and conduct of the local Vanden Burg post of the G. A. R., and was for many years its commander. Until two years ago he had charge of the annual Memorial day services.

The surviving members of his family consist of his wife, three children, Chas. Coon, Mrs. E. I. Sondrol and Mrs. A. H. Davidson of Estherville, six grandchildren and four great grandchildren.

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at three o'clock from the Methodist church in charge of Rev. R. T. Chipperfield, pastor of the church. Maurice Doyle Post American Legion was out in uniform and formed an escort from the home to the church and to Oak Hill cemetery where the body was laid to rest with military honors. The two surviving members of the G. A. R. post, Mr. Snyder and Mr. Cox, carried the colors. Members of the Women's Relief Corps and the Service Star Legion attended in body.

The honorary pall bearers were M. K. Whelan, William Mahlum, F. J. Rhodes and Albert Barber. Messrs. J. W. Morse, N. J. Lee, Sam Johnston, J. T. Johnston, L. L. Bingham, and Roy Burt were the acting pall bearers. Musical numbers were rendered by the Estherville quartette, Mesdames J. E. Stockdale, John Greig and Messrs. Fred Albertson and Oran Manthe.

The large attendance at the services and the numerous floral tributes spoke of the great esteem in which Mr. Coon was held in this community.

Submitted by: Ruth M. Hackett. Source: Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, Emmet County, Iowa, Jan. 2, 1929.


Emmet Obituaries maintained by Lynn Diemer-Mathews.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]