[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Helen Morse 1906-1908


Posted By: Merllene Andre Bendixen (email)
Date: 11/7/2010 at 22:17:50

Very Sad Deaths
Home of Mr. and Mrs. G. H. Morse Darkened By Death
Two Children Pass Away
Funeral of Both Held Saturday – Two Hearses in Funeral Procession – Died of Diphtheria

The two youngest children of Mr. and Mrs. G. H. Morse died last week of diphtheria. Helen, almost three years of age, died Friday [October 2, 1908] morning and Merle, a little past four, died at four o’clock Saturday [October 3, 1908] morning after an illness of only a few days. The Democrat has been called upon to chronicle many sad deaths in the past but these two deaths are the saddest of them all. Two young lives blighted in their infancy and the sorrowing parents quarantined at home and not allowed to attend the funeral is certainly more than one family’s share of grief of this world. The little girl was taken sick first with what was supposed to be the croup. She gradually grew worse and medical assistance was summoned. The little boy was also very sick at the time and the doctor at once pronounced the affliction diphtheria.

The funeral of the two was held at six o’clock Saturday evening. Although not a public funeral many carriages were at the house and followed the two hearses bearing the remains to the Oak Hill Cemetery. At the graves Rev. Utterback, of the Christian church, offered prayer and the little bodies were interred.

The sympathy of the entire community is extended the bereaved parents in their hours of deep sorrow. (Estherville Democrat, Estherville, IA, October 7, 1908)

A Saddened Household
Thursday evening the little two-year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Morse on South Ninth street, was stricken with what at first was supposed to be membranous croup, and early Friday morning the little life had passed to its reward. That same night the son next in age, being four years old was strickened with the same malady, and by three o’clock the next morning death relieved the little fellow of his suffering. At this time it was decided by the physicians that the ailment was a very aggravated case of diphtheria. The family was at once quarantined, but there were many exposures up to the time of the disease being pronounced diphtheria. The two little bodies were laid away in one grave in Oak Hill cemetery, but no public funeral or burial was permitted. The heartfelt sympathy of the community goes forth to the grief stricken parents in this hour of their greatest sorrow. (Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, IA, October 7, 1908)

In the diphtheria cases at the Gail Morse home there are many who blame the physicians for not giving the public the benefit of the doubt, if any existed, as to the nature of the malady, and of course, there must have been a doubt, in cases that terminated fatally so suddenly. It hardly seems justified for so large a portion of our inhabitants to be exposed to so dreadful a disease. (Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, IA, October 7, 1908)

The quarantine will be raised on the Gail Morse home Monday. (Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, IA, October 14, 1908)

Chief Train Dispatcher, G. H. Morse will be released from quarantine Thursday and will then return to work. (Estherville Democrat, Estherville, IA, October 21, 1908)


Emmet Obituaries maintained by Lynn Diemer-Mathews.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]