Posted By: cheryl Locher moonen (email)
Date: 7/1/2020 at 19:26:54
MONTANA HOUSE. Located on First Street between Main and Locust, the Montana House opened in the 1870s and welcomed guests for more than thirty-five years.
The 1874-1875 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was located at 141 and 145 1st.
The 1875-1876 Dubuque City Directory placed the business at 135 1st.
In 1877 the Montana House, part of the Chadwick estate, and the corner to the west were not sold due to the offers being less than the owner thought was fair. Land to the east had sold for $52.50 per frontage foot. (1)
The 1878-79 Dubuque City Directory listed 135 to 145 First.
The 1880 through 1886-87 Dubuque City Directory listed 1st between Main and Locust.
The 1899-1900 Dubuque City Directory listed 145 1st.
Established in the same block, Schilling Hardware gradually expanded to include the former hotel. Schilling Hardware closed in the late 1990s.
1. "Chadwick Property" Dubuque Herald, December 21, 1877, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18771221&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
Day, Mike, "Ghosts of Businesses Past," Telegraph Herald, Nov. 25, 2010
245/249 W 1st Street Dubuque, Iowa Known as the Farmerís Hotel and Montana House, this building housed one of the first hotels in Dubuque, IA and was a popular pit-stop for travelers heading East and West. Recognized on the National Register of Historic Places, this historic building contains two 800 square foot storefronts on the 1st floor.
Dubuque Biographies maintained by Constance McCaniel Hall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen