[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Homer Dome Arthur


Posted By: IAGenWeb Volunteer
Date: 6/30/2013 at 11:15:34

The Spirit Lake [Iowa] Beacon
March 5, 1909
page 5


ARTHUR. In this township, February 26, Homer Dome Arthur, in his eighty-eighth year.

After a long life singularly free from conspicuous blemish and full of the grace of kindliness this pioneer is called to his reward. There are now living in this county but few persons, probably less than a dozen, who were here when H. P. Arthur came in October, 1859. From that day near dawn of local history for almost fifty years he has lived and loved and lost as is the lot of mankind, but with such earnest endeavor in the line of duty, with so much of resignation in misfortune and so little of meanness in all emergency as to entitle him to the good will of all and to make his death even in ripe old age a matter of common regret.

The deceased entered this life August 17th, 1821, at Turin, Lewis county, New York, where in February, 1845, he joined his fortunes in marriage with Lucy Ann Payne, who died in 1889. To this union was born Mrs. L. F. Ring, Albert E., Frank F., and Henry U. Arthur, all residents of this community, and four children who died in early life. Eleven grandchildren who were given him survive.

The family moved from New York to Fon du Lac in 1857. Coming to this county two years later, Mr. Arthur located on land east of the east lake, now owned by his youngest son, which has never known any other owner outside of this family. In 1861 he entered the army and was for three years in the frontier service with headquarters at Sioux City, and detailed to frequent campaigns to the lakes to guard the settlement against Indian depredations. In Co. I, Seventh Iowa Cavalry, there were nineteen enlistments from this county. At the time of Mr. Arthurís death only H. C. Owen, M. J. Smith and Gunder Matheson survive as residents.

The health of H. D. Arthur until this last illness was so uniformly good as to enable him to say he had never had a doctor called for him but once. In December he caught a severe cold, which reduced him until at the home of his son A. E. Arthur, the end came, and he died quietly and uncomplainingly as he had always lived. Many friends attended the funeral services at the Methodist church Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. I. A. Kettle.


Dickinson Obituaries maintained by Kris Meyer.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]