JUSTIN WILLIAM EMERSON
EMERSON, RUNION, ARNOLD, GRAHAM, MYRICK, SHAFER, BURNS, MITCHELL, BUFFUM, JACOBSEN, ROWE, UNTIEDT, TANGEMAN, HENDERSON, BLAIR, SCHROEDER, JENSEN
Posted By: Mike Peterson (email)
Date: 5/27/2010 at 20:10:46
Posted on behalf of Steven G. Anderson
Last Rites for J. W. Emerson
Last rites for J. W. Emerson were held last Friday afternoon, April 22 at 1:30 at Knowles Funeral Home and at 2 o'clock at the Lake Park Methodist church, with the pastor Rev. L. J. Runion officiating. The church was filled to capacity with neighbors and friends who paid their last tribute to a friend of many years standing. The profusion of beautiful flowers, and the donations to the memorial fund, further testified to the high esteem in which Mr, Emerson was held.
A quartet composed of Clayton Arnold, Ronald Graham, Mrs. Alvin Myrick and Mrs. Hadley Shafer sang two selections, accompanied by Mrs. Carroll Burns at the organ.
At 2:30 the school students and their teachers gathered along the sidewall across the street from the church, and stood until the funeral cortege left the edifice, paying a silent tribute to the man who for twenty-four years had served as treasurer of the board of education.
Pall bearers were Jim Mitchell Grant Buffum, Alvin Myrick, George Jacobsen, Leslie Rowe, and Jack Untiedt.
Interment was in Silver Lake cemetery.
Justin William Emerson, son of James P. and Anna Tangeman Emerson, was born August 8, 1876 at Volney Allamakee county, Iowa. Here he was reared and educated in the institution of learning as well as in the mercantile business that was his profession the most of his life, his father being a merchant at Volney.
On Sept 13, 1899 at Waukon, Iowa he was married to Ida E. Henderson and the young couple began house-keeping at Burchinal where Mr. Emerson was in the mercantile business. In 1912 he disposed of his business and the family moved to Charles City Iowa, where he conducted a store for two years.
In 1914 Mr. Emerson bought the Frank Blair store in Lake Park, and the family moved here that August, where they have since lived. A few years later Mr. Emerson purchased the Frank Schroeder grocery and dry goods stock and moved into the corner building on the northeast corner of Main Street square where he continueD in business until 1937 when he closed out his stock. , Mr. Emerson then was employed for over a year at the Jensen Hardware. In 1939 he was appointed town clerk and weighmaster.
Mr. Emerson was elected treasurer of the Lake Park school in 1925, and held this position of trust, along with the town clerk and weighmaster positions until his death.
Mr. Emerson attended the Methodist church and has been a member of the local Methodist since 1915. For many years he was a member of the Masonic, Odd Fellow and Woodman lodges of Lake Park.
He always enjoyed reasonably good health during his lifetime, and his sudden passing at 1:15 Wednesday morning, April 20 was a distinct shock to his family and to the community. His death was caused by a sudden failure of the heart, being at that time 72 years, 8 months and 12 days of age.
Surviving besides his wife are five sons: Milo of Swea City, Everett and Ralph of Lake Park, Richard of Pasadena, Calif., and Rollo of Lake Park. Also one brother J. Gordon Emerson of Palo Alto, Calif.; four grandchildren, and two great grandchildren.
One sister and three brothers preceded him in death.
Mr. Emerson was a kindly man, and the good deeds he performed and the personal favors he extended his fellow men were innumerable. He expected no
recognition for his charitable acts, the satisfaction in his own heart and conscience being ample for his own happiness and contentment.
The business houses closed during the hour arid a half of the funeral service in further tribute to this gentleman whose interests had always been on Main Street. The mayor and town council attended the last rites in a body.
It is with a feeling of sincere gratitude that we take this means of expressing our deep Appreciation and thanks to neighbors, friends and relatives for their kindness shown us in the passing of our beloved husband and father J. W. Emerson. A special word of appreciation for the tribute shown by the Lake Park school and students, and also to the many friends who willingly went out of their way to bring Mr. Emerson home from his office after his days work.
Mrs. J. W. Emerson
Mr. and Mrs. E. W. Emerson
Source: Lake Park News 28 April 1949
Dickinson Obituaries maintained by Kris Meyer.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen