James C. Murphy - 1929
Posted By: Karon Velau (email)
Date: 6/11/2021 at 12:14:57
Rev. James C. Murphy
(November 15, 1848 – February 23, 1929)
Rev. James Murphy, was called to this city in charge of the Catholic Church in 1887. The church was erected in 1882, at a cost of $20,000, with Rev. Lenehan in charge. Since our subject took charge of the church he has spent over $15,000 in paying church debts, building a residence, school buildings, etc. The school was opened in September, 1890, and it now has three departments, presided over by the best and most accomplished teachers in the State. The daily attendance is now 120 pupils, and in addition to the other departments, music, and painting are also taught. The entire school is under the supervision of Rev. James Murphy, and he has ever proved himself worthy of the position.
He was born in Kilkenny, Ireland, November 15, 1848, a son of Patrick and Mary (Carroll) Murphy. Our subject was educated at St. John College, Waterford, Ireland, graduating as priest at twenty-four years of age. After coming to America, he was first appointed to the church of Toronto, Clinton County, Iowa, where he remained seven years. During his residence there he erected three churches. From Toronto he went to Marshalltown, Iowa, where he remained eight years, and during that time he secured the ground and built the parsonage and Sisters’ residence property, at a cost of $17,000. Father Murphy is an active and zealous worker, and has done much for the church of this city.
Source: Biographical History of Crawford, Ida, and Sac Counties, Iowa, 1893, p.398
Crawford Biographies maintained by Kris Meyer.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen