Regan, Rev. C. S.
Posted By: Volunteer Transcriber
Date: 2/14/2003 at 21:28:52
Source: "The 1901 Biographical Record of Clinton Co., Iowa, Illustrated" published: Chicago : S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1901.
REV. C. S. REGAN.
Father C. S. Regan, pastor of St. Mary’s Catholic church at Bryant, is a native of this state, born at Lycurgus, Allamakee county. He obtained his early education in the public schools of that place. Later he attended the normal and high schools at Waukon, Iowa, and spent several years at the Decorah Institute, taking both normal and commercial courses. He holds diplomas from both departments. He next spent six years at St. Joseph’s College, Dubuque where he made a special study of philosophy and the classics, and during the succeeding four years was a student at the Grand Seminary, Montreal, Canada, where he was ordained to the priesthood in 1896, with a class of forty-four. Father Regan was then appointed first assistant pastor to Father Carroll, D. D., at Manchester, Iowa, and after the latter’s death was in charge of the parish for two years. On the 1st of October, 1898, he was transferred to Bryant as pastor of St. Mary’s church.
The subject of this review is also a man of good address and winning manners; is a zealous, active and efficient worker for the church, and is held in high esteem not only by the people of his own congregation but by all who know him.
About twelve years ago Father Bowen was appointed pastor of the Catholic church at Bryant, it being known as the Prairie church and located about three miles south of Bryant. It was one of Father Bowen’s out-missions and attended by him, together with the churches at Preston, Sabula and Green Island. About the year 1889 he removed the church to Bryant, where he erected St. Mary’s church and parsonage. In 1893 he was succeeded by Father Desmond, the first resident pastor of Bryant, who had charge of the parish for five years. He was an able worker and was efficient in the completion of the new church and parsonage.
Father Desmond in turn was succeeded, October 1, 1898, by Father Regan, the present pastor. Besides the large and well-built church there is a fine large parsonage. Both are surrounded by well-kept lawns and spacious grounds, to which has been added recently a large tract of land.
Clinton Biographies maintained by Nettie Mae Lucas.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen