Martindale, Dr. E. L. & Gardner, W. S.
Posted By: Annette Lucas (email)
Date: 3/21/2021 at 23:18:48
This article, titled "NEW POSTMASTER" was in the Clinton Herald March 21, 1910. There is a picture of Dr. E. L. Martindale but it is very dark.
Dr. Martindale, the new postmaster, is in the forty-second year of his age and he has been a resident of Clinton for nearly sixteen years. His first home in Clinton was in Ringwood where he lived for five years. At the outbreak of the Spanish-American war, Dr. Martindale was appointed assistant regimental surgeon of the Forty-ninth regiment of the Iowa National Guard, serving with that regiment during the war. He is now in charge of the Hospital Corps of the Fifty-third regiment of the Iowa National Guard.
Shortly after the close of the war, Dr. Martindale bought the residence property at the corner of Fourth street and Eighth avenue where he has since resided and had his office. Mr. Martindale's activities have covered a wide range of matters and he has many business interests. He states that he will devote his energies to his new office at the expense of his other interests.
There is but one little formality in the turning over of the post office. An invoice of everything in the office is prepared by Mr. Gardner and a receipt for everything is signed by Dr. Martindale when he takes possession tonight.
W. S. GARDNER
Man Who Leaves Post Office after Twelve Years
W. S. Gardner leaves the Clinton postmastership after having served twelve years in a most efficient manner. He has shown himself to be a faithful and painstaking public officer and he has the general public confidence.
The first commission which Mr. Gardner received appointing him to the Clinton postoffice was signed by President William McKinley and was dated March 17, 1898. At the time of his appointment, George Curtis was congressman from this district. Mr. Gardner took possession of the post office on April 1, 1898, succeeding A. L. Schuyler on the first floor of the Weston building and on the south side of the building. The removal to the present post office building took place on December 1, 1902.
During the time that Mr. Gardner has been in office the business of the Clinton post office has increased enormously. The business of the fiscal year ending June 30,1898 at the Clinton post office showed the receipts to be $27,976.30. The business for the year ending June 30, 1910 will probably run between $48,000 and $50,000.
Mr. Gardner came to Clinton on January 1, 1882, and took a position with Curtis Bros. & Co. as an accountant. He remained with that firm for more than sixteen years, or until he received his appointment as postmaster. Mr. Gardner states that his plans for the future are not yet ready to be made public.
Clinton Biographies maintained by Karyn Techau.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen