[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

The “Union House” in Chickasaw-1870

SPINDLER, MEND

Posted By: CHERYL MOONEN (email)
Date: 11/28/2018 at 14:05:39

Dubuque Daily Times, Tuesday, Apr 26, 1870
~
FROM NASHUA

The “Union House” in Chickasaw, this county, was burned to the ground last Tuesday. It was partially insured, but the loss is heavy on the proprietor, he is a poor man and illy prepared to bear the loss. A fire occurred in this town today which threatened to destroy the building on the east side of Main Street and doubtless would have done so if it had been for the use “Babcock Fire Extinguishers.” A large straw pile in the rear of Spindler & Co.” hardware store and Mend’s billiard hall took fire from some cause about 9 o’clock this morning, and the wind being strongly in the southeast blew directly towards the store. The alarm was given and five or six of the “Extinguishers” were on the ground in five minutes pouring their gas into the flames. A couple of small barns and three or four outhouses were burned, but the business houses were saved. A large force of hands are now at work removing the rubbish, much of which is still on fire. Such things should rebuke the careless thoughtlessness of those who leave such combustible material in close proximity to wooden buildings. Have we no town ordinance against it? If so, why is it not enforced?


 

Chickasaw Documents maintained by Bruce Kuennen.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]