Ella R. Hamiel, 1865-1939
HAMIEL, WILSON, NEGUS
Posted By: Sharon Elijah (email)
Date: 9/27/2017 at 09:25:29
21 September 1939 - The Tipton Advertiser
Mrs. Ella Hamiel, highly esteemed resident of the city of Tipton the past 33 years, and a pioneer of Cedar county, passed away at her home here in the early morning Sunday.
Ella R. Wilson, daughter of George and Lavina Negus Wilson, was born in Cedar county, Iowa, on April 12, 1865, she being the only one of their four children who attained maturity. Mrs. Hamiel grew to womanhood in Iowa township, Cedar county, Iowa, where her father owned a farm situated less than a mile directly north of where the old Pedee postoffice and stores were located, which was one of the early settlements of the country. She was educated in the rural schools of that community and later attended school at Princeton, Illinois.
On February 9, 1882, she was united in marriage to I. J. Hamiel, and they established a home on the "Wilson farm" where they lived and worked together until the year 1893, when they went to Iowa City, while I. J. pursued his study of law. In the fall of 1896 following his election as county clerk of courts, they moved to Tipton, Ia., where they enjoyed their home together until March 10, 1927, when his death occurred. Mrs. Hamiel died at her home in the early morning of September 17, 1939.
While living in Iowa township and later in Tipton, Mrs. Hamiel, because of her untiring efforts and unselfishness, put her very best self into the life of the community. She was deeply interested in every movement which had for its purpose the betterment of civic and moral conditions. She loved people and was most happy when she was able to do something to make others happy. The hospitality of her home and that of her husband was available to people in all walks of life and many were made happy through their contact with the home.
Mrs. Hamiel has been a faithful and dependable member of the local Methodist church. She took an active part in all the various organizations connected therewith. Though during the past three years illness has kept her confined to her home, yet, at no time did she lose her vital interest in the affairs of the community, and did the best she could to keep in touch with changing conditions. She also took an active part in the social affairs of the community, having served as Matron of the local chapter of the Eastern Star, and took a prominent part in the activities of the Nineteenth Century club for forty years. She had an important part in securing to the city its free public library, and while president of the Womans Club, it was her privilege at the laying of the corner stone of our library building, to spread the cement upon the spot where the stone was to lie, while the derrick held it in readiness for its position. Hers has been a life of service and helpfulness to others. While she was never privileged to have and enjoy a family of her own she filled this void in her life by devoting herself to her nephews and nieces, and others, which endeared her to them in everlasting memories, and we like to think that our beloved one has not "gone to a far country"--it is only the veil of sense that separates her from us, and even that veil grows thin when our thoughts reach out to her.
Funeral rites were held Tuesday afternoon at two-thirty o'clock at the First Methodist church in Tipton, the pastor Rev. Wm. Crossley in charge, assisted by the Rev. W. E. Van Buren. A ladies' quartet, including Mrs. F. N. Fraseur, Mrs. Carson Cobb, Mrs. George Faseur and Mrs. Everett Chamberlain, furnished several music numbers. Interment was in the Masonic cemetery near Tipton.
Cedar Obituaries maintained by Lynn McCleary.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen