David Fluharty (1838-1929)
Posted By: Karon Velau (email)
Date: 9/23/2022 at 23:57:06
(May 15, 1838 – April 13, 1929)
David Fluharty was born in Hardin County, Ohio, May 15, 1838, his parents being Noah and Christina (Eddy) Fluharty, both of whom were natives of Virginia, in which state they were reared and married.
The father devoted his energies to agricultural pursuits, and on leaving the Old Dominion took up his abode in Hardin County, Ohio, where his wife died when their son David was but four years of age. The father then returned with his family to Marion County, Virginia, where he lived until called to his final rest. His political support was given the Democracy, and he was a man of
strong purpose, possessing many sterling characteristics. In the family were four sons and a daughter: Melissa resides in West Virginia. Amaria, a resident of Pike County, Missouri, married Miss Toothman, and after her death was married a second time. Alexander, who married Rosa Tabb, is now residing in Bedford, Taylor County,
Iowa. David is the subject of this review. The fourth child died in infancy. In the public schools of his native state David Fluharty began his education. It was a typical schoolhouse, built of logs with slab seats, and in one end was an immense fireplace. At the age of seventeen he put aside his text-books in order to give more
of his time and attention to farm work. He was also employed on the construction of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. At the age of
nineteen he left home, going to Berwick, Warren county, Illinois, where he was employed as a farm hand, feeding cattle for four years. He afterward became a fireman on the Chicago, Burlington & Ouincy Railroad, serving in that capacity for a year. On the 22nd of December, 1865, in Knoxville, Knox County, Illinois, Mr. Fluharty
was united in marriage to Agnes Conner, who was born in Ayershire, Scotland, December 3. 1843, her parents being John and Mary (Brown) Conner, who were likewise natives of the land of hills and heather. The father was an expert engineer, and in 1858 he brought his family to the new world, crossing the Atlantic in a sailing vessel, the Coraline, which encountered two very severe storms, but at length, after a voyage of seven weeks and three days, reached the harbor of Baltimore, Maryland. Mr. Conner secured a position as fireman with the George Creek Coal & Iron Company, and served in that capacity most acceptably for fourteen years. In 1866 he went to Minnesota, where he secured a claim of one hundred and sixty acres of raw land, transforming it into richly cultivated fields. He also built houses there and engaged to some extent in real estate dealing. His political faith was that of the Republican party, and in religious belief he was a Presbyterian. His death occurred in Minnesota in 1872, and his wife passed away in 1867. They were the parents of seven children: Mary, the wife of Robert Mackey, who resides at Black foot, Idaho; Agnes, now Mrs. Fluharty; Isabele, who married Freman Eppert and resided in Boone County, Iowa, now deceased; Robert, deceased; James B., who died at the age of two years; James B., who is married and resides in Centerville, Iowa; and Catherine, who died at the age of one year. The marriage of
our subject and his wife has been blessed with six children, namely; James K., born October 6, 1866, married Emma Brandt, and resides in Manson, Iowa. They had three children, one of whom is now living, Lloyd. Mary Christina Louise, born December 22, 1868, is living with her parents. Robert R., born November 13, 1871, is an expert engineer, also a railroad contractor of concrete work, and lives in
Boonesboro. Alice May was born March 4, 1874, and passed away at the age of three years, in November, 1876. Albert Melvin, born December 11, 1878, is living at home with his parents and is engaged in teaching school. He graduated from the Manson high school. Jennie Edith Maude, born December 10, 1883, is a graduate of the high school, completing the course in May, 1902, and resides with her parents. In March, 1866, Mr. Fluharty became a resident of Iowa, settling at Fort Dodge, Webster County, but on April 14th of the
same year he came to Calhoun County and secured a homestead claim of eighty acres. It was raw prairie land, which he transformed into a valuable farm. He erected good buildings upon it and added all modern improvements and accessories, while the well tilled fields return to him a golden tribute for his care and labor. All this, however, was the work of years and represented much industry and perseverance. In the early days the family had to do their trading at Fort Dodge and Lake City and there were only three houses between the farm place and the present city of Fort Dodge. Mr.
Fluharty has witnessed the introduction of railroads into this county, saw the establishment of Manson, and has a comprehensive knowledge of the early pioneer history. James Glover opened the first store in the town and Seth Thomas conducted the first hotel. The first church — of the Congregational denomination — was built
and dedicated in 1874, and the first sermon was preached by Rev. King, at the home of Mr. Yates. The first school erected was
the Yatesville school, for which the lumber was hauled from Boone, Iowa. After the town was incorporated Henry Willey became the first mayor. The first election of Lincoln Township was held in 1866, and at that time six congressional townships were comprised within Lincoln and only eighteen voters resided within the entire district. There was, however, a unanimity of sentiment, for all were Republicans. The congressional district convention was held in Alanson in 1870, at which time many of the delegates slept in tents, and families had
to put their chairs and tallies out of doors in order to make beds for the delegates upon the floors, the county first became connected with the outside world by railroad in 1869, when work was begun on the construction of the Illinois Central, which was completed in 1870. The first station agent was B. F. Freeburger. In 1867 there occurred a grasshopper scourge and other trials and
hardships were borne by the pioneers. Mr. Fluharty broke his land with ox-teams and lived in frontier style until the comforts of
the older east were introduced. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and his sons are identilied with the same organization. His wife has been of great assistance to him in his work and no less credit is due the pioneer women than to the pioneer men who sought homes in
the wild western districts. A busy, useful and honorable career has been that of David Fluharty, and through all the years he has
commanded the respect and confidence of his fellow men. [Source – Biographical Record of Calhoun County, Iowa, by S. J. Clarke, 1902, p.349]
Calhoun Biographies maintained by Karon S. Valeu.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen