[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ]

GASOLINE LAMPS EXPLODES - 1901

WILLEY, SMITH

Posted By: Cheryl Locher Moonen (email)
Date: 12/19/2016 at 19:07:21

Dubuque Daily Telegraph April 1, 1901

GASOLINE LAMPS EXPLODES
Rockwell City, April 1 Miss Maggie Willey was seriously burned about the neck and face Thursday evening while attempting to light a gasoline lamp in the kitchen of the Willey home. A spark fell from the lighter into the bottom of wood alcohol used for generating the gas in the lamp, which caught fire and in some way ignited the clothing of Miss Willey. Wm. Smith, who was assisting her attempted to smother the flames and his own clothing took fire and his hands badly burned. Some of the boarders arrived on the scene in time to extinguish the flames and save the lives of both.


 

Calhoun Biographies maintained by Tyler Rasmussen.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ]